OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: OFF Day Playing Trumpets  (Read 1853 times)

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: OFF Day Playing Trumpets
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 04:45:49 PM »
Cant remember how many times I was in the woods thinking some yahoo snuck up on me with a terrible box call, just to see a hen come around the corner making that awful racket.

I see how it is, call out the box call guys  :TooFunny:

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
OFF Day Playing Trumpets
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 05:41:50 PM »
So I practiced with my Lewis Stowe trumpet today.  I’ve been disappointed with it as it has been more difficult to play than most of my other trumpets.  I rocked it today with that trumpet, so far as my ability goes.  I practice one handed when driving and use two hands at stoplights and intersections for my 15 minute ride to work and back home each day.  When I get home I’ll run it for a minute or less, then put it down.  I’ll pick it up in 30 minutes to an hour and do it again.  I really don’t drag on it for long periods of time.  I just do a few simple clucks and 3-7 yelps each time.  I’ve noticed that I don’t drop my jaw much anymore on yelps.  I’ve also noted that I cluck and yelp better with the trumpet at slightly different angles.  I really hate trying to do it one-handed as it’s a lot harder for me.  Each trumpet gets a turn at practice everyday.  It’s really my favorite call to run compared to my pot calls and diaphragms.  But honestly I’m better at diaphragms and pot calls.  I can see me running trumpets for fun all year really.  To me it’s a great call to learn to master.  I believe the trumpet is like Obi-Wan Kenobi’s statement about the Jedi lightsaber from Star Wars “A New Hope”, “it’s an elegant weapon for a more civilized age”. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 08:46:25 AM »
So I made a trip to visit with Frank Hegler....and we had been talking building trumpets and the equipment and tools needed to make trumpets when Frank asked me how many different notes could I make with my trumpet? What?  What do you mean how many notes? I didn't know....nor did I care at that point.....but I learned to care and why it was important.  Frank picked up one of his trumpet yelpers and pulling air started playing "Yankee Doodle" on it, then he played 3-4 more songs....then he had me "try" to play along with him.  I was clueless....but I paid attention.  Air control....and air control practice and being able to sustain air control by drawing air for as long as you're able....practicing notes from high to low and from low to high are secrets kept by the few who know. Expecting to just pick up any trumpet yelper and yelp consistently is always going to be somewhat difficult if you're practicing with dozens of different yelpers and all you're doing is practicing yelping. Have you ever watched an orchestra warming up before a concert? IMHO pick the trumpet yelper you're going to hunt before the hunting season....practice air control, practice notes H-L and L-H, then practice yelping.  You're developing muscle memory....your brain is recording all that information. When your brain says "I've got this!!!" and you relax it all comes together......

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 11:01:13 AM »
So I made a trip to visit with Frank Hegler....and we had been talking building trumpets and the equipment and tools needed to make trumpets when Frank asked me how many different notes could I make with my trumpet? What?  What do you mean how many notes? I didn't know....nor did I care at that point.....but I learned to care and why it was important.  Frank picked up one of his trumpet yelpers and pulling air started playing "Yankee Doodle" on it, then he played 3-4 more songs....then he had me "try" to play along with him.  I was clueless....but I paid attention.  Air control....and air control practice and being able to sustain air control by drawing air for as long as you're able....practicing notes from high to low and from low to high are secrets kept by the few who know. Expecting to just pick up any trumpet yelper and yelp consistently is always going to be somewhat difficult if you're practicing with dozens of different yelpers and all you're doing is practicing yelping. Have you ever watched an orchestra warming up before a concert? IMHO pick the trumpet yelper you're going to hunt before the hunting season....practice air control, practice notes H-L and L-H, then practice yelping.  You're developing muscle memory....your brain is recording all that information. When your brain says "I've got this!!!" and you relax it all comes together......
  Thanks for sharing all this information, and i will agree with you and everyone else about the air control as i learn to play these more and more. I do try to vary my notes etc as i'm playing these trumpets, i guess you could associate it with putting feeling into your playing of the trumpet.. good post Tarheel... I'm still learning and i do enjoy playing them...

Offline rong

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 07:20:22 PM »
How many different trumpets are you trying to play? I’ve found them to be the one call I just can’t switch between different builders at will. Every one I’ve ever played has it’s very own nuances and unique characteristics required to get good sound. Every season I pick one and stick with it for the season, and yes, even then I have days I just plain suck but they are fewer and farther between, lol.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 07:51:02 PM »
How many different trumpets are you trying to play? I’ve found them to be the one call I just can’t switch between different builders at will. Every one I’ve ever played has it’s very own nuances and unique characteristics required to get good sound. Every season I pick one and stick with it for the season, and yes, even then I have days I just plain suck but they are fewer and farther between, lol.

Until you get really comfortable with one, don't jump back and forth. BUT, once you master the air control, you'll be able to jump from call to call, all with different internals, and "figure" them out very quickly. Once you get to that stage, going from call to call is VERY good practice, IMHO.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 12:03:44 AM »

Until you get really comfortable with one, don't jump back and forth. BUT, once you master the air control, you'll be able to jump from call to call, all with different internals, and "figure" them out very quickly. Once you get to that stage, going from call to call is VERY good practice, IMHO.
  I agree with EZ... as i have mastered the air control, and the feel of the mouthpiece i can pretty much play them at random. As time goes on the mouthpiece isn't that important either, but does play a part in the air draw and sounds / tone along with the internals  ....   Air - Control - Air - Control is major in my opinion with any of them...  I will say if you only using one, your not utilizing your full potential of learning to play a trumpet..IMO
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 12:18:42 AM by Greg Massey »

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 06:44:15 AM »

I guess I’m very comfortable with most that I have now.  There are a couple of favorites that are foolproof.  I’m one of those that likes a variety and I also feel obligated to hunt with most every call I have at least once a season.  I sell calls I hesitate or simply don’t take hunting.

One another note, I’ve had trouble running the one trumpet I have that has an angled mouthpiece.  Yesterday I took it with me again and was able to run it with a lot less effort (actually running it at all was a challenge before).  Yesterday’s performance I rate as a 75% improvement compared to a month ago.  I attribute the increase to having practiced everyday for a month before trying it again. 

Offline gmbellew

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 09:07:16 AM »
Some of these trumpet posts are really over thinking it. Does it take some dedicated practice to get proficient,  absolutely. I practiced for almost a year before my first season hunting one. Should you probably get it down on just a single trumpet when learning? Yeah, thats a good idea. I started with a permar improved Jordan. I agree that once you have it, switching between most trumpets isn't a huge deal. But they all do like something just a touch different with back pressure, etc to really make them sing. Do you need to break them out and start practicing for a little while before the season starts, most likely. its a bit like riding a bike, but i wouldnt want to go to the woods cold since last season. I'll break mine out after the holidays and start messing with them. Do you need to worry about air control so much that you can play the latest country song to be able to kill birds, nope. Now those that do can probably work a trumpet over better than me and really put on a show. But when it comes to making  realistic turkey sounds, you don't need to be able to play top 40 hits on one. Get proficient on some basic sounds and then work to improve those sounds and add more sounds. they are a neat tool and part of a long turkey call history.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 09:20:25 AM »
Some of these trumpet posts are really over thinking it. Get proficient on some basic sounds and then work to improve those sounds and add more sounds. they are a neat tool and part of a long turkey call history.
I’m the king of needless overthinking!  Really the only thing I concern myself with is simple clucks and yelps.  The cadence is what I mostly work on.  The tempo of my yelps tends to be too long and drawn out on a trumpet.  I’m working on speeding it up and slowing it down in the same series of yelps. 

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 09:40:21 AM »
I don't think we are over-thinking trumpets. It's something new to a lot of us and we just enjoy talking and sharing our experiences while learning to play them.  I think it's awesome to share information about the different styles of trumpets and what each of us has encountered while practicing with them. Off days, styles, mouthpieces, air-control, back pressure, air draw and just overall practice with making the yelps, clucks and rhythm sounds / tones. I'm not looking at starring on the Grand Ole Opry, but i do want to use one to the best of my ability along with my other calls.  I'm not trying to be someone else or sound like someone else I just want to sound realistic with my turkey sounds. Practice to become Proficient i agree and enjoy doing it as you learn 3 / 4 note yelps and cluck is all i'm looking for and this has killed a lot of turkeys .. Continue to share your experiences with all of us ...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 09:59:00 AM by Greg Massey »

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 05:51:50 PM »
Bad days are going to happen, have had them in almost all pursuits I've taken seriously. Had them practicing for rifle matches, best thing to do that day was take down the paper targets and just hit the metal gong course and have fun. A bad day is usually just that, even worse are plateaus where you hit a level and get stuck there. Usually need to walk away for a several day break for them.

If you just want to learn to play songs on a musical instrument, you can just practice songs.
If you want to get better than that, you add playing scales forward and backwards. there are also certain drills music teachers will give you to practice to help you to advance faster and to a higher level than just playing songs.
Tarheel had a lot of good info in his post

Offline rong

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 07:39:31 PM »

Now this is why I love this place. I would not have guessed just sticking with one trumpet could actually be holding back my ability to improve. AND you have given me a good excuse to buy more trumpets!!! AND if my wife finds out I bought more of those annoying turkey calls I can show her this post and say it’s all you alls fault for giving me this advice,,,,????