OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OFF Day Playing Trumpets

Started by Greg Massey, March 20, 2023, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I was talking with another member of the forum today and we were discussing having an off day of playing trumpets. Does anyone else run into these problems of having an off day trying to play these trumpets?  It's like today nothing is going right and it's best to just put it aside.  Lip placement isn't working, cluck , yelps sound terrible etc..  Just curious what others have experienced while playing these trumpets ...

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 20, 2023, 02:49:18 PM
I was talking with another member of the forum today and we were discussing having an off day of playing trumpets. Does anyone else run into these problems of having an off day trying to play these trumpets?  It's like today nothing is going right and it's best to just put it aside.  Lip placement isn't working, cluck , yelps sound terrible etc..  Just curious what others have experienced while playing these trumpets ...
I was helping my son learn to play a trumpet this past weekend, at times he did really well then struggled. I think he was getting tired, so I suggested he step away for 30 minutes and try again, things were better after the rest. I do believe that once you really figure them out the off days get less frequent, but it is an instrument and requires a ton of practice for sure.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

gmbellew

not so much "off days" as "off moments" usually related to mouth moisture...

Notsoyoungturk

I agree.  One minute, I sound pretty good; the next minute, I sound like a 5yo on a sugar high with a kazoo.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Ridge Strutter

If I practice a lot one day,  I have to take a few days off because I have no sound control.  During season I don't practice during the week and I'm fine on the weekends.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have off days with a lot of things.  I can go in the duck swamp one day and kill just about every duck I shoot at and the next day I'll run out of shells and be glad to get one.  Had that happen with other activities requiring skill.  Today I carried a trumpet with me to practice and it was like I'd never used one before.  Two weeks ago I felt like a competition caller with the same trumpet.  On the ride home today I practiced with diaphragm calls instead.  Maybe I practice with too many trumpets, as I like them all and I want to use them all.  As with most turkey calls I'll end up taking a few most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Terry

I have off days. A couple times a year I'll have off weeks. I just keep practicing and power through it.

gmbellew

there is definitely a little bit of adjusting when going from trumpet to trumpet. they all like something just a little different. I usually only use 1 most of the time when hunting for the whole season. or i may take 2, one with a smaller diameter mouth piece and one with a bigger mouth piece.

Tarheel

When I first started playing a trumpet yelper, I thought I should only be all about practicing yelping.  Wrong!!!  Frank Hegler taught me different.  IMHO, practicing air control is more important than practicing yelping.  If you have air control, yelping is the easy part.  Air control and sustaining air control holding notes playing a trumpet yelper makes yelping "natural" and instinctive when you are in the heat of battle with an old boss gobbler. Practicing air control and being able to sustain air control teaches you to relax.....and you don't fight and force the yelps.  It helps teach you don't need near as much air as your brain thinks you need to get the job done. 

EZ

Quote from: Tarheel on March 20, 2023, 09:16:11 PM
When I first started playing a trumpet yelper, I thought I should only be all about practicing yelping.  Wrong!!!  Frank Hegler taught me different.  IMHO, practicing air control is more important than practicing yelping.  If you have air control, yelping is the easy part.  Air control and sustaining air control holding notes playing a trumpet yelper makes yelping "natural" and instinctive when you are in the heat of battle with an old boss gobbler. Practicing air control and being able to sustain air control teaches you to relax.....and you don't fight and force the yelps.  It helps teach you don't need near as much air as your brain thinks you need to get the job done.

!00% spot-on on all accounts Marvin!!!

Ranman

Tarheel.. Any videos on how to practice the air control? I seem to be off first thing in the morning, but sound way better in the afternoon. Maybe facial muscles haven't warmed up yet??

misfire

Every one will have those days, the answer is to still carry that call and use it. You can take a live hen and put her on the GNCC stage and she will finish dead last every time. Cant remember how many times I was in the woods thinking some yahoo snuck up on me with a terrible box call, just to see a hen come around the corner making that awful racket.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

randywallace

The more you practice, the less off days you will have, BUT sitting down for an hour "practicing" incorrectly can reinforce bad habits.  On days you think you have it, practice longer and keep doing what you are doing.  If you have a day where you sound like crap, set it aside for a while and pick back up later.

sixbird

I have the same issues at times.
I think it's related to moisture but I also think it's because your lips get tight as you're working to control the flow.
I find I have more trouble after trying to yelp loud or fast. If I put it down and relax a little, I find control to be easier.

EZ

Quote from: randywallace on March 21, 2023, 01:43:13 PM
The more you practice, the less off days you will have, BUT sitting down for an hour "practicing" incorrectly can reinforce bad habits.  On days you think you have it, practice longer and keep doing what you are doing.  If you have a day where you sound like crap, set it aside for a while and pick back up later.

That's right.
I always tell folks, if your lips are getting tired, sore, etc. you're trying too hard. Relax