OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SX3 choke swap for TSS  (Read 780 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
SX3 choke swap for TSS
« on: March 20, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
I’m almost out of Nitro Hevi 4/5/7 blend and have a box of 3” apex #9 as backup for my SX3 12 gauge. Currently have a .670 rhino choke for the nitro but looking for suggestions on chokes when I switch to the Apex. I’ve read a lot on Indian Creek and Jebs .665 and also seen a post or two about a Carlson Longbeard xr .665 doing well.

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: SX3 choke swap for TSS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
If it shoots the nitro load well, the I'd imagine it will do well with the Rhino you have now.  My Invector plus guns love .680 Carlson's chokes with TSS.  Pretty much any choke I have tried .665-.696(Indian Creek, Hastings, Carlson's, Pure Gold, Primos, Jebs) with TSS has shot patterns that would kill way farther than anyone should be shooting at turkeys.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 10:31:23 AM »
If it shoots the nitro load well, the I'd imagine it will do well with the Rhino you have now.  My Invector plus guns love .680 Carlson's chokes with TSS.  Pretty much any choke I have tried .665-.696(Indian Creek, Hastings, Carlson's, Pure Gold, Primos, Jebs) with TSS has shot patterns that would kill way farther than anyone should be shooting at turkeys.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I’ve never gotten the pellet count that nitro says I should with the H518 and rhino. It’s only done around 265 in a 10” which has worked for years but that combo has never produced like advertised so I’m not sold on the choke swapping over to tss. Shot it with apex 9’s over the weekend and it only did around 265 at 40 yards also. So the choke is out of the picture.

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 10:35:39 AM »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I’ve never gotten the pellet count that nitro says I should with the H518 and rhino. It’s only done around 265 in a 10” which has worked for years but that combo has never produced like advertised so I’m not sold on the choke swapping over to tss. Shot it with apex 9’s over the weekend and it only did around 265 at 40 yards also. So the choke is out of the picture.

Do you have a picture of the pattern?  Was it blown or too open?

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 11:32:33 AM »
It was a more defined core than the .660 rhino but I think it was still too open. The .660 was blown I believe.

Offline olemossyhorns

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
I’ve had exceptional results with an Indian creek .665 paired with my SX3 and apex 9’s.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 08:09:44 AM »
I’ve had exceptional results with an Indian creek .665 paired with my SX3 and apex 9’s.

Yep that’s what I landed on. AMAZING pattern.

Offline Jake.251

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 04:45:03 AM »
I had 300 + patterns with Indian creek 675 and the original primos jellyhead which I believe is 670. Both with hand loads and 8.5 tss