OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Start Here  (Read 850 times)

Offline anthonyjhallen

• Longbeard
Start Here
« on: March 20, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »
TEAM,

Well, were back.  Since we have several new faces let get to know each other.

This team was started in roughly 2010.  Since that time we have completely and utterly dominated this contest.  If I am not mistaken, at one point we had won it six years in a row.  After that time we made the decision as a team to take a year off (2022) to let someone else taste the glory.  Now, we are back ready to repeat.

Now that you know what your apart of, lets get down to business.  Take a few minutes and answer the following.  I'll go first.

1.  Where do you live and how is the turkey population there?  Cullowhee, NC in the mountains of Western North Carolina.  Our population is better than last year but not as good as it was 20 years ago.
2.  What do you do for a living?  Retired military/Full Time Fly Fishing Guide
3.  How long have you been turkey hunting?  36ish year.  I missed a couple years due to military obligations.  No matter where I was during spring I was always thinking about turkeys and the team carried on the winning tradition without me.
4.  How many days a year are you able to hunt?  At least 30
5.  Do you travel to hunt?  Yes, this year I will try to knock out a few more states in the south east.
6.  What do you bring to the team?  Experience in this contest and an almost unhealthy bloodlust for longbeards.

If there is anything else you want to share let'er rip.  If this is your first year you'll find that the relationships made here are lasting ones.  Plus, real turkey hunters are usually the best kinds of people.

Have a good one,

AA

Offline SDK

Re: Start Here
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:21:02 AM »
I'm going to get this post in before my day gets any crazier. I have a full time job and a piar of teenage athletes on my hands, so I get less internet time...

My name is Scott. I'm 55 and grew up hunting in NY. I am also big into fishing and lived in Oregon for a while. I got to chase some elk and king salmon while there..

This is my second turkey season, but I am an experienced waterfowl, deer and small game hunter.

1.  Where do you live and how is the turkey population there? 

I live in central Massachusetts. Lots of swampy terrain and rough rocky hills with hardwood forests and cropland in between. The turkey population is really strong here. There is not a huge hunting population and turkeys thrive on the fringes of the suburbs.

2.  What do you do for a living?

I'm in corporate sales. It's as boring as it sounds but pays the bills. I am otherwise always looking for a way to be outside.

3.  How long have you been turkey hunting?

As above, second year, but I'm a hunter and a quick learner.

4.  How many days a year are you able to hunt? 

20-30 or as many as it takes...

5.  Do you travel to hunt? 

Not as much as I used to, but hoping that changes as the kids get older.

6.  What do you bring to the team? 

I think I will bring some different methods and perspectives. I'm a deer hunter and a scouter/tracker. I love walking in the woods. I believe in using every tool and method I can and am big on preparation.

I'm already tracking several big groups, and am going to start putting out trail cams this weekend. Our season starts 4/24. I try to cover all bases when hunting. I will know where each group roosts, and where they go every day before the season starts. Last year I bagged a tom without really knowing how to use calls. I just put myself where I knew he would be.

I spent the ensuing year getting good with a variety of calls and reading a ton. This year, my goal is to still not have to call, but now I am prepared if need be. My hunting buddy is my now 15 year old son. He is an old school kid, and I trust him more than I do many adults out in the woods.

I am beyond pumped to join this team and contribute. The turkeys get big here and I am going to pull one in for you guys!

Offline bowbird87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 11:54:06 AM »
1.  Where do you live and how is the turkey population there? Warner Robins Ga. Struggling we’ve been in a steady decline for multiple years.
2.  What do you do for a living? Forester
3.  How long have you been turkey hunting?  18 years total  (seriously around 15)
4.  How many days a year are you able to hunt? 20-25
5.  Do you travel to hunt?  Yes only SE
6.  What do you bring to the team?  Experience esp on public land! Also willing to share info on birds with anyone in my area on the team.

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:45:46 PM »
Hey my name is AJ. I live in Central VA. I'm a utility foreman. Our turkey population is ok here ,there's usually several gobblers where I hunt. Actually saw a lot of Jake's last year. I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like, roughly about 15 days? I would do more but with 2 kids playing sports I get kinda limited. I travel when I can, I actually have a trip planned next year to NH and VT. I am a avid waterfowl and deer hunter as well. I'm trying to get my oldest son(7) more into hunting. I actually get to take him on youth day here April 1. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys, I've met a lot of great people on here.

Offline YelpOnTheWay

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 12:27:33 AM »
Names Adam, I’m from New Jersey. The bird population here is pretty spotty, but I’ve managed to find roughly 4-5 different flocks to hunt. I’ll be hunting VA, TN, NJ, PA, and NY this upcoming spring from April 8th til the end of May.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »
1). My Name is Gary, I live 30 miles south of Buffalo, NY, in the small town of Boston, NY
2). Army veteran, retired from 30 years heavy highway laborer but works 2 days a week at Cabela's (for discount...lol)
3). Started hunting birds in 1983, the population on a steady decline since 2002 but has been a little better last two seasons...
4). I hunt as many days I can God willing, only harvest mature birds, and only can hunt till noon here...
5). Travel? yes, planning a Michigan trip. But want to head west for Merriam, a lifetime dream. Spent $$$ rigging a truck for off-grid but hunting buds here have health excuss issues, un easy about traveling alone...
6). Addicted... I love this game. There's nothing more rewarding in life than a crisp new Spring morning listening to the woods wake up around you... Another game I like is tracking wounded big game with dogs. I've been doing it for 35 years as a volunteer. If I was just a hunter and not a hunter/tracker, I'd be bored to death....check Deersearch of WNY Inc. and United Blood Trackers websites... It all started here in NY back late 80s...thanks for letting me on the team, good meeting you all, please all be safe and I will give you my best...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:08:52 PM by tracker#1 »

Offline YelpOnTheWay

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 08:41:46 PM »
Hey my name is AJ. I live in Central VA. I'm a utility foreman. Our turkey population is ok here ,there's usually several gobblers where I hunt. Actually saw a lot of Jake's last year. I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like, roughly about 15 days? I would do more but with 2 kids playing sports I get kinda limited. I travel when I can, I actually have a trip planned next year to NH and VT. I am a avid waterfowl and deer hunter as well. I'm trying to get my oldest son(7) more into hunting. I actually get to take him on youth day here April 1. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys, I've met a lot of great people on here.

This will be my first time hunting Virginia, headed to national forrest territory in the southwest corner of the state to try my hand.

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »

This will be my first time hunting Virginia, headed to national forrest territory in the southwest corner of the state to try my hand.
not to familiar with that part of the state but I'll help if there's anyway I can

Offline YelpOnTheWay

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »

I appreciate it! I think I’ll be okay, I’ve been driving up and down I-81 from time to time over the past few years and I think there’s birds in that area, there’s a lot of land to run around which I like!

not to familiar with that part of the state but I'll help if there's anyway I can

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 08:53:59 PM »
Good luck this season , hunt hard , have fun.BE SAFE
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 02:18:06 AM »
My name is D Ray, aka Bo, I am from Louisiana, and the South East border to the north is the Mississippi state line, about 20 miles. I am 53 years old.

I have recently retired Law Enforcement Officer after 33 years on the job 

I will hunt our complete season, April 1st--30th, if I don't venture to another state

I don't reap turkeys.

My broadhead is either 1.5 ounces of TSS 9s or 2.5 ounces of TSS 9s

I bring to the team THE PATIENCE OF JOB!!

Though the years 40+ I have killed a lot of turkeys, I mean a lot.  I'm almost ashamed to say it because I would love to have the all back again so we could do it over. 
Thanks for having me on the team. Now everyone put on your war paint, and let's scalp some LONGBEARDS!!!!!

HAVE A GOOD ONE AND MAY GOD BLESS

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 10:19:05 PM »
Good luck guys. 

Offline SDK

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
Good luck guys.

You too and good luck to all the team!

Offline ScottS

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »
Hey fellas sorry kinda late to post but here’s a bit about me.

1. I live in Amarillo, TX. Not a ton of birds in the Texas panhandle so I travel for most of my hunting.

2. I’m an insurance adjuster for Texas Farm Bureau Insurance, been doing that for 10 years

3. I’ve been turkey hunting for 16 years. I’m not the best caller but I feel I bring good woodmensship to the team to get birds on the ground.

4. I plan on hunting Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado this year.

Glad to be a part of the team again and ready to get after the birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk