North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I'm buying my first pot call - Help me decide which one

Started by Solid Snake, February 14, 2011, 07:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm only buying one for this season. Which style should I get?

Crystal
Slate
Aluminum
One I don't know about!?

Solid Snake

I would like your opinion on which pot call to get. I am definitely going to buy from one of the custom call makers on the site (include your opinion on that as well if you want). But if you had to choose just one, which would you get?

Longbeardfever4ever

One You didn't know about... Ceramic. Mixes the sounds of slate, aluminum, and glass in my opinion. Personal favorite.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

nctrkyhntr

PANYHunter

Chester

Skeeterbait

Yeah start on slate.  easiest to run, takes little to no conditioning.  Just smooth it a little once in a while with a scotch brite pad and keep it dry.  Don't be slow to try different strikers.

sugarray

I would say slate as well, and TRKYHTR has a great one in the classifieds.  I have heard it personally, and have 2 leaving his house today!!  Needless to say wait until you see the pics, and they are all turkey.

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Basser69

shootumindaface

I am going to go against grain and go Aluminum.. I do not buy the Slate is easiest to learn on.

dodger

I hate slate calls... But I love a good glass call...

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I like glass.  But I voted slate.  They just are very versatile and easy to run. 

TauntoHawk

I taught my wife on an aluminum yesterday in no time, but id say if I had just one id go glass. good for soft and mid tone volume

my favorite is aluminum because I tend not to use them as much unless I need volume like windy days or days im trying to strike a gobble, if im looking for just soft calling ill usually run a mouth call but i have a ceramic and a crystal
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>