OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hikers with gaiters

Started by Old Timer, March 19, 2023, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

For those of you who wear hikers with gaiters what works best a mid or higher boot. I am leaning towards this setup for more foot support because of my bone spurs. I do not want to give up my running and gunning. Thanks

3bailey3

I wear ankle boots with mine.

PaLmbHngr

I wear a 8" boot with mine.

Dtrkyman

Been wearing gaiters with ankle high boots for 10 years.  Not every day though.  Only when it is wet, seems some wear them every day now, I do not see the need most of the time.

TurkeyReaper69

I have First Lite gaiters. Don't wear em too crazy often, but wore em today after damn near stepping on a coral snake. But I wear first lite gaiters with Kennetrek boots. They are nice and quiet and comfortable. I honestly forget they are there.

Sungrazer

Wore Kennetrek gaiters with 6" boot last year for first time, worked great, didn't notice them at all. I'm sold on gaitors now but will using 8" boots this year. I need the ankle support going up and down hills.

ClayR089

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 19, 2023, 03:25:28 PM
Been wearing gaiters with ankle high boots for 10 years.  Not every day though.  Only when it is wet, seems some wear them every day now, I do not see the need most of the time.
I've never done gaiters for turkey hunting just western big game. But I feel this is the mentality needed. I wrestle with wearing them but I don't have many deep creeks and very few fields that I hunt. In those situations I've got my rubber boots on. But I do prefer the comfort of a hiker. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 19, 2023, 04:01:56 PM
I have First Lite gaiters. Don't wear em too crazy often, but wore em today after damn near stepping on a coral snake. But I wear first lite gaiters with Kennetrek boots. They are nice and quiet and comfortable. I honestly forget they are there.
look like a nice gaiter but their not snake proof are they? I hunt a place at times that has timber rattlers but have only seen 2 over the years. Must of woke you up quick!

Howieg

I wear a snake gaiter over my 8 inch danners .
Baseline snake guards .. they also aid in keeping your Lower legs dry from wet grass etc.
I keep them sprayed with tick repellent and silicon spray .

paboxcall

Quote from: Howieg on March 19, 2023, 10:12:51 PM
I wear a snake gaiter over my 8 inch danners .

:agreed:

Sprayed with Sawyers too.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Brillo

8" hiker with knee high Gore Tex gaiter in black.  Very unfashionable but effective in wet grass etc.  No snakes where I hunt so I happily skip them when the woods are dry.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Old Timer on March 19, 2023, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 19, 2023, 04:01:56 PM
look like a nice gaiter but their not snake proof are they? I hunt a place at times that has timber rattlers but have only seen 2 over the years. Must of woke you up quick!
Not snake gaiters unfortunately. Still gives me a little more peace of mind. Definitely looking into picking up a pair of snake gaiters in future.

rifleman

This will be my 3rd year with mid-height hikers and Snake Guard by Crackshot.  I actually find them more comfortable than knee high snake boots.  They are lightweight and are easy on and off.  I am paranoid with regards to snakes but I have seen a couple rattlers here in WV while hunting to add to the fear.  Too late once bitten,

HillclimberWV

I hunt in areas with alot of greenbriars and get tires of my boot laces caught. So i wear my gaiters almost everytime I'm hunting. Now sometimes late season if its really hot i will leave them in the truck but not very often. I wore my crispy summits every day last year and they are an 8" boot. Ive also wore them with a pair of low top ariat hikers and never had a problem wearing gaiters with them as well.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Number17

Second season with 6" hikers and gaiters. I have a cheap amazon pair "Freelaxy" and found kenetreks on sale. I like them both equally.
Keeps you dry, adds a layer of briar protection, keeps your pants from getting muddy and frayed, and honestly adds a bit of a wind brake to your lower legs to keep you warm. I noticed this immediately yesterday while wearing them during a 3D shoot with a thin pair of pants in the cold wind.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls