Main Menu

Compact binoculars

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, March 19, 2023, 11:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuideGun

Kowa BDII 6.5s or Swaro SLC 8X30
Matt

Tom007

I got these several years ago when they were affordable. Honestly, I use the compacts 95% of the time, for Turkey, 100% of the time. Lightweight, convenient, and very good for just about everything......
"Solo hunter"

WildTigerTrout

I have a vintage(1988) Leupold "Gold Ring" 7x 20A rubber armored binocular.  They were made for Leupold by Leica.  Very small and compact but surprising clear.  I usually do not like wearing binoculars around my neck on a strap but these are so unobtrusive, to the point that I forget they are even there. I know they made them in 9x25 also. I bought them used maybe you could look around and do the same.   Good luck.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

SDK

Quote from: Bowguy on March 19, 2023, 02:03:39 PM
You shouldn't admit to the purse buddy!!!
Consider this. Are you sure you want "compact?" There's none, not even Swarovski's that're not like looking through a keyhole when that tiny. Not trying to convince you if you're assured you want otherwise but I'd recommend going 8x30-32. You'll see lots more, way easier and the light gathering will be substantially better. How often do you walk onto a ridge and scan ahead in the dark for roosted birds, try to locate birds roosted last night,  or do you ever roost birds in the evening and need to see in low light. Than again how often is it just breaking daylight and you'd like to scan out yonder for birds around you. This capability matters. Glass is pretty opinionated by many until they use good glass. At that point they realize what they didn't know and get Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski. I use the 8-32 Zeiss conquests for all the advantages carrying binoculars can offer.
Lots of guys recommend Vortex. I'm not exactly sure what they're seeing. I thought they had real clarity issues though I never looked through the highest end model so just be advised of that

This is a good reply, although I love Vortex Bino's. You don't need to go with a gigantic pair, but larger objective binoculars gather more light during dusk and dawn conditions. Same when out in dimly lit wooded cover. If you are going to carry binos, get a pair that will do everything YOU need them to do, or you will be buying another pair soon enough.

I also hunt deer, and New England is not the brightest place. My Vortex Diamondback 10 x 50's are well worth the bit of extra weight and size when I'm trying to pick something out through a snarly swamp and/or at dusk. The chest pack they come with gets the strap off of your neck, and I don't even feel them when carried this way. They also are much easier on the eyes glassing at longer distances, which I do run into from time to time.

Just make sure to try different pairs and avoid having to buy a second pair six months from now. Especially if you are shopping at the higher end...

Bowguy

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on March 19, 2023, 04:22:17 PM
I've got a pair of Swarovski 10x42 I use for deer hunting. But I just don't see the need to tote that big and heavy of a pair of Binos around turkey hunting. Just looking for something good and compact. Thanks for all the replies
If you want small ones than I could def advise the pocket Swarovski. Crystal clear edge to edge which is important with decreased field of view to see through.

Burtwill

this is a good thread I need to get a small pair to turkey hunt/bow hunt

Number17

I'm not a fan of any compact binos and I've given them an honest try.
8X42 is the smallest and biggest I go. That size just fits everything I need it to do with turkeys and whitetails. Put them on a Rick Young harness and forget you're even wearing them.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

PV266

I use a Vortex monocular...I know it's not what you asked for but I don't really glass a lot.  I use it to verify if birds are in a field or whether a Tom is mature and for my style of hunting it is fine for that.   

joey46

I use a monocular also.  Hangs on a string next to my tube call.  Nothing easier for me. 

Sixes

I use full size Maven B2s in 9x45, same that I use for deer hunting.

I despise compact binoculars. I tried Vortex Diamondbacks and they were terrible for me and I gave them away. I tried cheaper ones and they were useles.

I found that just using my normal ones in a good harness was better than using hard to use compact ones.

My advice is if you already own a good pair, then just them in a good chest harness.

aclawrence

I'll also add that I really like my Rick Young bino harness. It's just made out of shock cord and works great for a smaller pair of binos. Especially if your going with something your not as concerned with having protected. I don't care for the bulky bino harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liljake

I have been considering ;D a monocular. Every ounce counts at my age.  ;D
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

MK M GOBL

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x30 SLC's that are my Turkey pair, amazing glass!

MK M GOBL

Tom007

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 20, 2023, 11:53:01 PM
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x30 SLC's that are my Turkey pair, amazing glass!

MK M GOBL

Nice set up there....
"Solo hunter"

kayl

Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32s for me
The Maven B.3 8x30 are probably nicer, but can't beat the Vortex price and warranty.