OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CZ Bobwhite G2 20g

Started by g8rvet, February 15, 2023, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on March 16, 2023, 08:28:09 PM
I just shot my new CZ Bobwhite G2 20ga this weekend.  Great looking gun. I was only able to shoot it a few times, but it seemed to shoot a little low at 35 using Federal tss 7's 1 1/2.  I'd hunt with it tomorrow if I had to, but really need to shoot it a few more times (would probably tote my 870 20 if I were hunting tomorrow honestly)

Good info above, Crow.  I'm thinking I'll put a mid bead on first, to try to raise it.  Don't need much, but I definitely think I could come up a bit.  May need to read up on choke filing if it comes to that

Any remedies for patterning wide right/left?

Really excited about this gun.  The all-terrain version definitely is a looker.  Now to make it a shooter

Some of this is in past threads and should come up in the archives.
SXS's are regulated with target loads of a certain shot charge amount of lead, as a rule when you increase the amount of shot charge the left barrel will shoot to the left, right barrel to the right. any type of shot that is harder or denser than lead will exaggerate it even more.

I wanted to stay with a front bead or mid bead, there may be more ways than this but this is what worked for me, for moving left-Right point of impact (POI) with out a red dot, scope or adjustable iron sights. first way is to shoot less TSS in your shot charge than  1.5oz or 1 5/8 oz
In my BW dropping the shot charge down to 1 oz of TSS#9 the close barrel averages in the low 150's in the 10" at 40 yds with a tight choke and it brought POI almost centered for left and right, a little choke filing brought it "on". If you wanted to shoot a more open pattern no choke filing would of been necessary.
The 2nd way if you wanted to shoot a heavier shot charge (1 5/8 oz. or 1.50z) would be choke filing.

Search on here for info from Doc Holliday, he has set up a bunch of BW's, I believe he sets his tighter choked distance barrel to shoot "on" with an adjustable peep sight and shoots a more open choke in his close barrel.

crow

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on March 17, 2023, 12:40:26 PM
Crow, could you explain the mid bead/figure 8 a little more?  When you're looking down the barrel and are stacking the two beads over the bird's head, are you using the bottom (mid) bead as your POA?  Or covering the POI with the middle of the 8? 

I'm sure shooting it a few times will determine the correct answer, but just want to get an idea of where to begin.   

As g8rvet said, this forum discussion is great for navigating the patterning process

The front bead is always the front sight, and is used as POA

the mid bead is taking the place of a rear sight, if you are shooting low you either need to lower the front sight or raise the rear sight. By setting the front bead on top of the rear sight (mid bead) you are raising your POA. The sight picture you get when setting the front bead on top of the mid bead resembles the number eight 8, you are putting the top of the eight where you want the center of you pattern to go.

If you can't get enough raise in elevation and are still shooting low you have a couple of options, #1, if you normally aim by putting  the front bead at the base of the neck or mid neck you may have to aim at the head which should have the 10" covering the head and most of the neck. If shooting at the base of the neck is ingrained into your muscle memory, making yourself aim at the head when the heat is on can be hard for some people.

#2, you could also have a bigger (taller) front bead installed in the mid bead position which will give you more raise in elevation.

#3 if you don't already have a mid bead hole drilled and tapped you can stick on a temporary bead, shoot the gun, if center of pattern is too low slide mid bead a little closer to front bead. This will raise your POI and you can combine this with option #2
This is what I did with my BW.

To keep track of moving POI you don't need to shoot turkey loads for this or choke filing. I would buy a box of good quality trap/target loads, Fed gold medal, Top gun or Win. AA.
Once you have shot your turkey load and see how far off it is for POAvsPOI, shoot a trap load at 15-20 yds so you can clearly see a dense core and see where it is compared to your turkey load, now you have a basis for comparison and can keep roughing in your adjustments with the cheaper loads.

all target loads (or turkey loads) will not shoot to the same poi, that is why you want to start with a full box and only shoot them when doing the sighting in process.

Fillmoregandt

Dropped it off this morning to have a mid bead installed.  Will update when I get it back and can shoot a few more times