OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Your first time  (Read 335 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Your first time
« on: March 18, 2023, 12:26:43 PM »
You all remember your first time. It was just like it happened yesterday.

It was dark, you were clumsy and inexperienced and stumbling your way through the unknown, guided only by what you had mistakenly "learned" in videos. You thought that spending lots of money would make you better at it. Ultimately, in spite of all your amateurish efforts, things just aligned that fateful day in human history and you crossed over from being a mere child into full fledged manhood. After all of the action had calmed down, you got up, picked them up by the feet and went to the house to show off to your Dad. Right?

Tell us about shooting your first turkey.

That is what you thought I was talking about, right?   :icon_thumright:

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:44:42 PM by FullChoke »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
Re: Your first time
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 02:26:58 PM »
 :newmascot:

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »
Man, I am really trying hard to hold back on this one..... 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 09:14:03 PM »
Ok I'll start this thing. Rainy morning April 9th, 1976, Rattlesnake Ridge, Hairston Bend Hunting Club, Lowndes county, MS'

It started raining on the way to the area that I wanted to hunt that morning, but I had read in a great book by Col. Dave Harbour that turkeys would still gobble in the rain, so I just kept walking. Just as I was about to crest a ridge, He hammered on the roost out in the middle of a clearcut on the other side of the ridge. I slipped up to a log loading clearing, eased behind a treetop on the edge of it and called occasionally on the Lynch's Fool-Proof box call like the instructions with the call told me to. After the rain finally stopped, I watched him sail off the roost and land off to my left. He came out to the road down the way and demanded that the hen that he had been fantasizing about all morning stop everything and get her feathers down there to him. I just kept clucking and lightly yelping because I didn't know what else to do. After about 45 minutes, he and a jake come stomping into the log loading area where I was. I had to carefully put the call down, get my hands on the gun and wait for the right moment to get the gun up. He walked over in front of me at a distance of about 30 yards and faced straight away stretching his neck to try and find that pesky hen. I moved right then, got the bead on him and shot. I went scrambling over slick, wet logs and limbs and stood over him with the gun pointed at him. When the realization finally flooded over me that he was NOT GETTING UP, I stood out there on that crisp Mississippi morning with the bright morning sun breaking through the departing clouds and lost my damned mind, hollering for 5 straight minutes at the top of my lungs! To say that I was hooked right then and there was a complete understatement.

The next most fantastic moment that morning came when I got back to my grandfather's house and caught up with him on his way out to pick strawberries in the garden. I acted dejected as I schlepped up to him. "All right boy, Come tell me your tale of woe." I walked right up to him with my head hanging down, cut my eyes up to him and simply said, "16 pounds, 4 ounces". There was a flash of confusion that came over his face, which gave way to a sudden blast of understanding and surprise. He threw the bucket he was carrying straight up in the air and took off on a dead run back to the front porch, easily beating me there. We hollered and danced around with each other like 2 happy idiots. My grandfather was my hunting mentor, teaching me good ethics, woodsmanship and how to love the outdoor world. I really believe that he was almost as thrilled about this bird as I was. I miss him terribly still to this day.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 04:30:10 PM »
I was out behind my house squirrel hunting one day.   I was 12 and it was my first season with a license.   I was supposed to be with an adult but I was by myself.   I was walking back down the mountain to my home when I stumbled on a flock of birds as I came over a steep rise.    They flew and instinct took over.   I shoulder my single shot 20ga and dropped her on the wing.   That’s was the start of it.   Maybe not the best way but I wouldn’t change it.   Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk