OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Killer B’s 2023 Story Thread - Embellishments Encouraged  (Read 5215 times)

Online POk3s

Re: Killer B’s 2023 Story Thread - Embellishments Encouraged
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 04:06:10 PM »
As usual, incredible field photos my friend. I’m curious as to how much time you put into cleaning up those birds before pics. I need to start doing the same. You’re starting fast! Like usual!

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 10:23:40 PM »
Thanks guys! Had a fantastic hunt this morning. Watched the gobbler pitch onto the logging trail I was set up on just over the crest where I could not see him. He gobbled down my gun barrel and I could hear him drum and walk in the leaves, he just didn't want to walk my way. His hens finally collected him and headed away, but I got that "safety off eyes looking" adrenaline rush we all crave. Happy he's still there to go after again.

As usual, incredible field photos my friend. I’m curious as to how much time you put into cleaning up those birds before pics. I need to start doing the same. You’re starting fast! Like usual!

Thanks Trent! I honestly don't do anything too special. I hang them upside down for thirty minutes or so while I gather myself and relive it. This helps set their wings and fan out. If any feathers got knocked loose, I'll brush them off/pull them out. I always let them dry out as best I can, and it is better to let him dry out before trying to smooth out any feathers. Other than that, I'll just try to clean off any noticeable blood and make broken wings less noticeable.

Online POk3s

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »
I really thought you took extra time to work those feathers! There’s never one out of place or even one that looks a bit haggard! Well done!

The best thing about an unsuccessful hunt is you get to wake up and do it all over again tomorrow!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 11:36:13 AM »
You’ll get em! Good luck…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
Had the best Eastern roost hunt of my life yesterday morning. Went to a spot I haven’t hunted yet this year, and was greeted with a gobble as I stood on the tree line in the gray light. As I’m trying to get a bearings on his location, I see him perfectly silhouetted against the skyline 100 yards from me. I slide down the tree I was leaning against and slowly sit down and position.

He was extremely close to the property line, with the adjoining property being a field that I was afraid he would pitch into. I watched and listened as he would gobble, strut, and drum on the limb, but my main concern was to keep him facing me. If he’d turn, I’d bubble cluck or tree yelp enough to get him to spin back my direction. Finally, he pitched my way to about 75 yards. I didn’t say another word, but watched as he Bee-lined to my location. He got in a wide open lane at 40 yards with no idea I was in the world. I decided to let him keep coming. Unfortunately, he immediately side stepped behind a tree right in front of me, and closed 25 yards. At this point I had serious concerns about missing. He was so close he took up the entire visual of my sight. Finally, he presented a shot at 10 yards. To my horror (but not exactly surprise) he flushed up at the shot, but immediately came back down, wings spread, and expired. It was a beautiful morning, and a roost hunt I will never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:17:23 PM by Delmar ODonnell »

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 09:05:03 AM »
Way to go Delmar!. Your on another tear. Beautiful pics!. Keep stacking em up buddy!
“Solo hunter”

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »
Congrats man! You are on fire! Keep after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 01:25:28 PM »
Congrats, again great read with outstanding pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline zsully

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 09:00:40 PM »
Congrats Delmar!!!!! You really know how to make a guy sitting on the sidelines jealous.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2023, 10:49:45 PM »
CONGRATS brother !!!!!!

You on FIRE !!!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 07:31:48 AM »
Congrats again!!!  Great story and pictures!

Online POk3s

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 09:17:29 AM »
BOOM!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 03:16:19 PM »
Congrats Delmar!!!!! You really know how to make a guy sitting on the sidelines jealous.

Ain’t that the truth!!! :turkey2:
“Solo hunter”

Offline KHNC

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2023, 02:02:47 PM »
Well thats great news!! I will be in for the SC upstate opener this saturday on my farm. I am hoping the birds stayed around that were there in January. They have fresh plots to play in and they like to roost on my creek.

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »
Great story, Del! and another beautiful gobbler. It's fun to work a bird and let the game go on, but it sure is nice when a picture perfect moment comes early in the morning. Congrats.