OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Killer B’s 2023 Story Thread - Embellishments Encouraged  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Delmar ODonnell

Hey guys, figured I’d start us a thread to post our stories from this season. Can’t wait to hear of the memories made.

This morning was cold and wet, and no surprisingly the woods were quiet. Easing down a road, i glassed a flock up ahead. They were in a very vulnerable position to be “bushwhacked,” but I wanted to see what experience they could give me. I maneuvered to 80 yards from them and being soft purrs and content yelps. 3 gobblers moved left of the flock on a flat part of the ridge. They would look, but didn’t seem interested.

A hen finally let out a single note yelp, and I responded with slightly more, not enough to push them off, “I am over here and confident” series of soft yelps. I watched as all 3 of the gobbler’s heads changed bright red and they blew into strut. The game was on. When they would go behind a tree or preen, I’d yelp or whine a little more. They slowly but steadily closed the distance to 30 yards before I ended it at 9:30 AM. They gave me all they could besides not gobbling. After the shot, I stayed put and began excited cutting/yelping. The flock ran to me, I had hens and jakes at 3 yards as they tried to figure what happened. After they finally walked off, I claimed my prize. Hate that he messed his feathers up slightly flopping, but the show after the shot was an added bonus. Very thankful to break the ice! Can’t wait to make more memories this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:57:08 PM by Delmar ODonnell »

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Killer B’s 2023 Story Thread - Embellishments Encouraged
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 06:11:15 PM »
Great pics and story. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 07:43:59 PM »
Great read and even better pictures, congrats!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 08:07:47 PM »
Good deal buddy…congrats!

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 10:21:41 PM »
The Hammer strikes his initial blow !!!!    :you_rock:

GREAT story and pics !!!   CONGRATS !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 10:25:56 PM »
Fannnnnntastic my brother, your on a role AGAIN!!!
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tsgman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 12:26:11 AM »
Very nice!  Can't wait for my season to start!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 07:07:58 AM »
Good job man! Ya'll are starting off well. Hope it continues for you guys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
Way to go buddy!  Congrats on a great bird, and AWESOME pictures as usual.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 09:06:40 AM »
Delmar, we want to thank you for turning down that lucrative multi-year contract and  signing bonus from GobbleNut! After your on-slaught last year, we knew they would approach you. Your loyalty is overwhelming. Kudos buddy….
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 09:32:32 AM »
Delmar, we want to thank you for turning down that lucrative multi-year contract and  signing bonus from GobbleNut! After your on-slaught last year, we knew they would approach you. Your loyalty is overwhelming. Kudos buddy….

:TooFunny:  Yeah, we had already reached the salary cap with the current roster.  Of course, if we would have known some of you guys were free agents, we might have looked for some NIL money.  Unfortunately, if the GOATS decided to release someone to add a ringer, I am afraid Captain GobbleNut would be the first guy on the chopping block!    :o ::) ;D

...And by the way,....Congrats Delmar on a fine gobbler,...and your picture taking is also top notch, buddy!   :icon_thumright:

Offline randy6471

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 05:18:02 PM »
 Great story, pics and bird!! Congrats!!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 07:11:51 PM »

:TooFunny:  Yeah, we had already reached the salary cap with the current roster.  Of course, if we would have known some of you guys were free agents, we might have looked for some NIL money.  Unfortunately, if the GOATS decided to release someone to add a ringer, I am afraid Captain GobbleNut would be the first guy on the chopping block!    :o ::) ;D

...And by the way,....Congrats Delmar on a fine gobbler,...and your picture taking is also top notch, buddy!   :icon_thumright:

I don’t think they would let you go my brother, you are the heartbeat  of the Goats! We look forward to a fun filled, ball-busting contest with reigning champs!
“Solo hunter”

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 01:04:57 AM »
NICE!!!!! Way to get on the board, Del!!

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 09:47:08 AM »
No kill but I got set up on two birds yesterday afternoon. These two were part of the trio that I talked about before the season opened. My dad was able to take one of them opening morning..a nice 2 yo with two full beards. As soon as I got off work I grabbed my stuff and boogied to an area where I know they like to roost. I set up in a small flat on the backside of a ridge as the ridge is pretty thick and didn’t provide a decent setup. I called intermittently for the next 45 minutes. I set up facing the ridge and I caught a glimpse of a gobbler coming over the top with the second gobbler not far behind. But instead of crossing directly over the ridge in front of me they veered left.

I had a lone hen decoy set up and I let out a series of yelps. They both stopped with the second bird eyeing my decoy. They both sat there for 10 minutes before they continued heading to my left away from me. I yelped one more time which stopped them for a couple more minutes but for whatever reason they never committed. The second bird acted like he wanted to come on in but he seemed like he was going to do whatever the lead bird did. I had him at 48 yards, which I know my gun will kill one that far, but that’s not the point. I was able to play the game..which in the end is all I care about. This just means I get to play another day!