OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

South FL Osceolas

Started by Burtwill, March 17, 2023, 12:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burtwill

Just got back from my first South Fl trip wednesday. Was able to hunt with a friend who lives there. He had a small property we hunted once and then hunted with some of his friends on different properties. I was able to see all types of south fl hunting. We hunt a grove, some oak hammoks, pasture, and a vegetable farm. It was a neat experience but those turkeys are for sure different.

I killed about 30 minutes into setting foot on the grove the first day. Just happened to make the right move at the right time and got lucky. A friend was with me trying to finish his slam and we spent the rest of the time trying to get him a bird. We covered about 30 miles in the following 3 days with a lot of close calls, some mistake, and some evil turkeys.

In the first 3 days we never had a turkey gobble at a call. The last two days we got on some responsive birds. We made bad set ups on the two responsive birds and they got hung up. We tried to get in front of them after they drifted off and both birds literally made about a 1.5 mile hike without stopping we walked fast as we could and could not catch up. That is not a typical activity of local easterns.

I would go back but it will be a trip to some public when I do.

Muzzy61

Congrats on your Oseola  Bird.  South Florida can be a hunt like no other.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RLAG

I just got back from south Florida public last week. I killed on the 2nd morning after calling in 2 birds on day one. Those birds weren't gobbling for me either. Only reason I killed is because he gobbled 2 or 3 times and let me make a play. There's so much trying to eat those birds in those woods that I don't blame them for not gobbling.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Burtwill

Good job. This year I hunted with a friend of a friend but will be hunting public in the coming years for my next trip. It was nice to get in the woods early for a warm up. My season starts Wednesday.

TurkeyReaper69

Congrats on your Osceola. Those grove birds can be hardheaded and tough to kill with little cover and ability to run n gun! Sounds like a good time

joey46

762hunter

Way to go!
I gained a whole new respect for those that hunt the "Jungle". 
I was down there for the opener. My first attempt, and we got our rear end whooped. On the last AM hunt I was able to squeeze the trigger and completed my grand slam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShortMagFan

I hunted south Florida with my son last weekend. We both killed orange grove birds in the afternoon. They were tight lipped