OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you hunt a call/calls you made ?? (A pic thread)  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
Re: Do you hunt a call/calls you made ?? (A pic thread)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 03:40:39 PM »
I made the wingbone around my neck. the pot call was made out of a black walnut tree I grew from seed by Al Holbert but I carved the striker from the same wood.

Those were the only calls I had with me on this hunt.

Offline justin.arps

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »

I carry A box call I made every year. It’s killed some birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 07:07:15 PM »
There's a good chance that the bones I used to make the call around my neck came from this turkeys daddy or uncle. He fell less than 100 yards from the original owner of the wingbones I used.

Just so people don't get the idea GOATS aren't having fun out there, this picture was taken during the year of the Great Toilet Paper shortage.
High dollar fashion models like Happy don't do well with corncobs

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
I always have at least one of my calls with me.  Here are a couple of my 2pc. cane call, and one of my 3pc cane.  I usually hunt the 3pc, but have just as much confidence in the 2pc.

Little back story on the cane I use.   As a kid hunting with my parents in Florida on a local WMA.   My dad would cut cane on the Kissimmee river when we got there and and make a couple throw away calls  to use for the weekend. One weekend in the late 60’s we pulled up some cane and planted at their house.   It did real well, and we used it for cane poles and throw away turkey calls, we called them Clucker’s back then.   When they moved we pulled up some of that cane and put out at their new house.  Same result, the cane did real well, and to this day there is a stand of cane at that house.  Long story short, the cane I use in most of my calls come from that cane whose root stock go back to theat day in the late 60’s when we pulled some up.   I know it don’t mean squat to most people, but for me it’s pretty special carrying a piece of my turkey hunting childhood around my neck.

Had the privilege of hunting with one of Guesswho's 3 piece calls last spring and fall. Lots of turkeys in these calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 07:59:40 PM »
If you want to include kit calls then I can say yes.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bwhana

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »
Will be trying these this spring. BBD I hope.  Basic but deadly. 

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 08:42:34 PM »

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 09:16:47 PM »
Just so people don't get the idea GOATS aren't having fun out there, this picture was taken during the year of the Great Toilet Paper shortage.
High dollar fashion models like Happy don't do well with corncobs.

The majority of the turkeys I kill don't get posted anywhere. And this is the only social media I partake in. As I have gotten older, I have started making it a point to get an on the spot photo for my album to be viewed when I get older. Unfortunately, I never took a picture of just the gobbler and the call. Thanks for acknowledging the modeling deal, though. I have really worked hard in the off-season and am leaner and better looking than ever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:27:46 PM by Happy »

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 09:17:22 PM »
There's a good chance that the bones I used to make the call around my neck came from this turkeys daddy or uncle. He fell less than 100 yards from the original owner of the wingbones I used.

High dollar fashion models like Happy don't do well with corncobs

;D
I was thinking, he doesn’t look very “Happy”

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2023, 09:38:28 PM »
My call that I'm hunting this year. Osage glass over rutland dymondwood

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:06 PM »
High dollar fashion models like Happy don't do well with corncobs.

The majority of the turkeys I kill don't get posted anywhere. And this is the only social media I partake in. As I have gotten older, I have started making it a point to get an on the spot photo for my album to be viewed when I get older. Unfortunately, I never took a picture of just the gobbler and the call. Thanks for acknowledging the modeling deal, though. I have really worked hard in the off-season and am leaner and better looking than ever.

:TooFunny:, just don't forget the little people when you hit the big time and specialize only in oscillated gobblers,
PS.   either don't drink the water or take plenty of corncobs

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2023, 08:14:41 AM »
I always have at least one of my calls with me.  Here are a couple of my 2pc. cane call, and one of my 3pc cane.  I usually hunt the 3pc, but have just as much confidence in the 2pc.

Little back story on the cane I use.   As a kid hunting with my parents in Florida on a local WMA.   My dad would cut cane on the Kissimmee river when we got there and and make a couple throw away calls  to use for the weekend. One weekend in the late 60’s we pulled up some cane and planted at our house. It did real well, and we used it for cane poles and throw away turkey calls, we called them Clucker’s back then.   When they moved we pulled up some of that cane and put out at their new house.  Same result, the cane did real well, and to this day there is a stand of cane at that house.  Long story short, the cane I use in most of my calls come from that cane whose root stock go back to that day in the late 60’s when we pulled some up.   I know it don’t mean squat to most people, but for me it’s pretty special carrying a piece of my turkey hunting childhood around my neck.

Great story guesswho! Love the history of your call.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2023, 09:15:13 AM »
Yes. Every hunt. I carry a few friend made calls as well when something else is desired by Tom.18 states reported Ferocious Tom harvests last spring. I love it!!

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 09:46:49 AM »
Same call, 4 different guns, 4 different years. Bloodwood and black limba.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Online HillclimberWV

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 10:31:41 AM »
Some new box calls i made. I will be hunting 3 of them JeffC will carrying one into the woods for me to test out. The wingbone i made from a previous years gobbler was able to call in this bird.  He supplied the bones for the other two in the third picture. Hope to use them this spring as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr