OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you hunt a call/calls you made ?? (A pic thread)

Started by Yoder409, March 16, 2023, 11:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Different threads along the way bring up comments from folks that hunt calls they made themselves.

OBVIOUSLY some of the world's most talented builders are members here.  And obviously they are hunting their own calls.  But what about the folks that aren't well-known builders or known at all ??

Well-known OR unknown in the call making world........are you hunting any calls of your own making ??

Let's see pics !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

So that nobody is embarrassed..........  I'll go first and get that outta the way.   :toothy9:

I made this call about 45 years ago out of a 35mm film can, a rubber surgical glove and (at that time) black electrician's tape.  It called the first bird I ever killed.

I took it out 45 years later and this past fall, it killed the most recent bird I have killed.

Total cost.......... Zero

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ScottTaulbee

Yes I am, I've made calls that would kill birds but not any that made me say wow until this winter. I've came up with the combo that matches the hen in my head and I look forward to this spring with it. That's a 3" and a 3 1/2" version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

THAT'S what we're talkin' about !!!    :you_rock:

Nicely done calls !!

I need to dig out my home-made slate call...........

PA elitist since 1979

Greg Massey

I still have a few of my homemade calls, turtle shell slate, snuff can calls and a homemade pot call with just a piece of slate glued to the top of wood with an open bottom and a old homemade corncob cedar striker... I also have a thin cane striker with a small gourd glued on top of the striker...back in those early years we were making calls out of whatever .. LOL.. I would go into our local drug store and ask for a certain product that was behind the counter in those days and they would give me this strange look...but i need them for my latex for my snuff cans ...  :TooFunny:

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 16, 2023, 11:38:27 AM

Nicely done calls !!

I appreciate it!. I'm tickled with the calls and the sound I got from them myself. I've dialed it in and have been able to make about 8 or 10 with the same hen I've got in my head. I'm hoping to enter a few makers competitions this year and see how they stack up

guesswho

I always have at least one of my calls with me.  Here are a couple of my 2pc. cane call, and one of my 3pc cane.  I usually hunt the 3pc, but have just as much confidence in the 2pc.

Little back story on the cane I use.   As a kid hunting with my parents in Florida on a local WMA.   My dad would cut cane on the Kissimmee river when we got there and and make a couple throw away calls  to use for the weekend. One weekend in the late 60's we pulled up some cane and planted at our house. It did real well, and we used it for cane poles and throw away turkey calls, we called them Clucker's back then.   When they moved we pulled up some of that cane and put out at their new house.  Same result, the cane did real well, and to this day there is a stand of cane at that house.  Long story short, the cane I use in most of my calls come from that cane whose root stock go back to that day in the late 60's when we pulled some up.   I know it don't mean squat to most people, but for me it's pretty special carrying a piece of my turkey hunting childhood around my neck. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

There's a good chance that the bones I used to make the call around my neck came from this turkeys daddy or uncle. He fell less than 100 yards from the original owner of the wingbones I used.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Burtwill

I've hunted with and killed with some mouth calls I've made but they aren't special and i have to make about 100 to make one good one

Teamblue

I used to make box calls when i had spare time

bbcoach

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 16, 2023, 12:05:21 PM

Nicely done calls !!

I appreciate it!. I'm tickled with the calls and the sound I got from them myself. I've dialed it in and have been able to make about 8 or 10 with the same hen I've got in my head. I'm hoping to enter a few makers competitions this year and see how they stack up

Scott, It doesn't matter what PEOPLE think about them, it only matters what Ole Three Toes thinks!!!
Nice Job, Now take them to the woods and get the Real Judge's OPINION!!!!!

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: bbcoach on March 16, 2023, 02:27:28 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 16, 2023, 12:05:21 PM

Nicely done calls !!

Scott, It doesn't matter what PEOPLE think about them, it only matters what Ole Three Toes thinks!!!
Nice Job, Now take them to the woods and get the Real Judge's OPINION!!!!!
That's all that matters to me anyhow. As of right now, including myself, I'll have 7 of these in the woods this spring, in 3 different states getting a real good test against the true judge. I want all the feedback I can get on them to improve, but as they are, I believe they won't have a problem with old 3 toes!.

Swamp_870

Always wanted to make my own calls but haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

This little purr pot and striker made by me finished this gobbler that I struck with a Watkins box. I always carry wingbones  and a trumpet I made.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Upfold99

Absolutely! Pots and diaphragms. Every gobbler killed in my presence over the last 4 years has heard a mouth yepper made by me.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk