Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Haven’t started yet

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 28, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Well my season doesn't start until April 8th and I really don't check in here much until I get to killin'.  Going with the .410 again this year but I'm setting up a 20 gauge Mossberg pump for back up.  One big change this season will be the use of trumpets.  I jumped in on the craze with both feet!  Been practicing everyday since duck season went out at the end of January and I feel confident enough to gain positive attention from turkeys.   Of course I'm not leaving my diaphragms and pot calls at home.  The turkey-infested woods where I hunt in NC seem to be at a 5 year high.  In VA my prospects are not as good due to logging.  I still have some spots, just not as many.  I see some of you fellas have been putting some nice birds in the scoring thread!  Well done!  Hope to be on there soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Delmar ODonnell

I know you are nipping at the bit to get started! I hope you fall in love with trumpets like I did. While there is no "magic bullet," in my experience there are times when turkeys react differently to them, particularly hens. Plus they are just cool and fun to run

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 28, 2023, 08:04:11 PM
I know you are nipping at the bit to get started! I hope you fall in love with trumpets like I did. While there is no "magic bullet," in my experience there are times when turkeys react differently to them, particularly hens. Plus they are just cool and fun to run
I'm in a relationship with them already even though I haven't hunted with one yet.  I'm very fascinated with trumpets and I can see myself running them year long for fun.  There's something about them...

zsully

I ran an EZ wingbone last year and while I didn't get one to commit to it I did have several responses and it hooked me pretty good. I can't wait to get it (and me) in the game!

Tom007

Few more weeks, best of luck to all my comrades! :fud:
"Solo hunter"

Delmar ODonnell

Hey MG, I have a question for you. I was thinking about driving to North Carolina next weekend, as I get the Friday and Monday off for Easter. I'm reading the regulations but don't quite understand, is hunting on public lands closed all day sunday, or just from 9:30-12:30?

KHNC

I will be in the SC woods in Cherokee Co tomorrow morning. Its funny how some areas have an increased population while others are in a rapid decline last few years. I have birds on my place now due to my plots being successful last fall. But overall the flock has declined to the point of reduced tags and limited season in SC. Used to be a banner state for birds.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 31, 2023, 10:07:28 AM
Hey MG, I have a question for you. I was thinking about driving to North Carolina next weekend, as I get the Friday and Monday off for Easter. I'm reading the regulations but don't quite understand, is hunting on public lands closed all day sunday, or just from 9:30-12:30?
Depends on the specific game land. 

https://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting/regulations-for-specific-game-lands

I have never hunted public land for turkey so I haven't paid much attention to it.  But if I did it would be in the Coastal Region Chowan Swamp game land.  It's a 6 day game land which means no Sunday hunting.  If it's a 7 day game land you can hunt on Sunday.  The prohibition of hunting between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM applies to both public and private land.  They don't want guns going off when folks are at church. 

Delmar ODonnell

Thank you, that is a huge help!

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 31, 2023, 02:49:51 PM
Where you going in NC?

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 31, 2023, 03:17:14 PM
Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 31, 2023, 02:49:51 PM
Where you going in NC?

I'm looking at the 2 big national forests in Western/Southwestern NC currently. I love hunting the mountains