OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Long Box Thoughts

Started by TJ3152, March 15, 2023, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I picked up a beautiful bloodwood over butternut long box at Unicoi 2023 this past January from Marlin that was likely (based on what he said) the best of what he had on the table. Could have sold it several times before I left and even again in the parking lot. It is just beyond full of turkey. I said I would just put it up to keep, but more and more I am thinking it is going to the woods.

I have a bunch of short boxes and they sound great, but there is just something about a long box that sounds a tad more like a hen from a distance in the woods. Most long boxes (at least to me), just seem to run a bit higher pitched, but they have that live hen sound from several hundred yards somewhat more than most shortboxes when I hear them ran in hunting situations.

Seems that so many think that a long box is harder to run than a short box. Call me crazy, but I have always felt that all things being equal, the long box is easier to run than a short box. 

"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 15, 2023, 10:10:19 PM
Thoughts ??

I think I have a couple of them.

Did somebody say "hunting with a Watkins fiddle paddle" ??  Sounds like a good idea !!   :toothy9:

Nice Bird, even nicer box, and man that gun is just plain awesome.

I too need a longbox holster if you can work me in please sir.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mspaci

I usually have an Ernie Fetters bloodwood over wormy chestnut, called many w it, and I also carry an Eddleman stribbling call that calls e up, I guess not technically a long box but the gobbler side is phenomenal. You can do anything w it. Mike

Yoder409

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on March 25, 2023, 01:03:30 PM

Nice Bird, even nicer box, and man that gun is just plain awesome.

I too need a longbox holster if you can work me in please sir.

Thanks for the kind words, sir !!

PM'ed ya !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jwp0020

The old school Camp Caller's Screamin' Hen (2004 and before) is hard to beat in my opinion.  The thin lid is what separated it from others.  After Doug died and they started making them with thick lids, they weren't the same.  Donnie Gallahar broke away from Camp Caller's a little over a year ago and made some up the way they used to.  I got one and it sounded pretty close to the way the old ones sounded.  Still hard to beat the long boxes from 2004 and before. 

TJ3152

My Marlin Watkins longbox is yellowheart over black gum. It has six or seven different turkeys in it. It also has an x marked on the inside where Marlin told me this box made it to the final cut of Nationals calling contest the year I bought it. It's definitely a killer!

357MAGNOLE

How do I get ahold of Marlin Watkins? Can't find contact info anywhere. Thanks
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

ManfromGreenSwamp

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 03, 2023, 10:32:56 PM
How do I get ahold of Marlin Watkins? Can't find contact info anywhere. Thanks
Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

When not using pot calls, all I personally use are long boxes. All the makers...all cedar over butternut. Adore them.

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Wvgobbler

Quote from: turkey stew on March 15, 2023, 09:20:30 PM
My favorite is a SSCustom maple over butternut. Always gets the gobblers fired up!
I will second this!!! My SS maple over butternut is my favorite long box I own. Never leave home without it.

Notsoyoungturk

This South Carolina gobbler thought my Steve Mann Cedar over Poplar was his lady love.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Lcmacd 58

Started using a DH this season
Wont leave home without it

packmule

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 06, 2023, 05:21:56 PM
This South Carolina gobbler thought my Steve Mann Cedar over Poplar was his lady love.

That is a turkey killer, great call.

shatcher

ManfromGreenSwamp

Do yourself a favor and buy one from every maker.

-T.Farley

-B.Button