OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Long Box Thoughts  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Long Box Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 09:21:52 PM »

Don Chancey ??

No, this is a boatpaddle long box I built....when nothing else in my hunting vest works, this does.  My youngest son, who turkey hunts with me, has told me if I don't leave him any other turkey call he wants this one.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 11:30:21 PM »

Don Chancey ??

No, this is a boatpaddle long box I built....when nothing else in my hunting vest works, this does.  My youngest son, who turkey hunts with me, has told me if I don't leave him any other turkey call he wants this one.

Would be great to see better pics. Looks like some great artwork on that call and a very nice design.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 01:54:14 AM »
Imo there zero reason to carry a short box. Longbox does it all and more better.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 06:27:02 AM »

Don Chancey ??

Would be great to see better pics. Looks like some great artwork on that call and a very nice design.

Agreed !!!!!

That is a BEAUTIFUL call !!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 10:03:24 AM »
Halloran Ipe over Black Limba and I roll together on nearly every hunt……

Is the halloran smaller than other long boxes? I saw a video of him using it and it looked small compared to some I have seen

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 10:39:51 AM »
nice looking single shot in photo as well!

Offline Bringintheh2o

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 11:44:32 AM »
This is a subject I am finding very interesting. I started turkey hunting within the last 10 years after retiring. I hunt a lot by myself so everything I have learned is thru trial and error, watching videos, reading anything I can find and of course all of the available information on this site. I have a nice assortment of probably every type of call from some quality callmakers. I have always thought of a longbox as a call for striking birds but now I see it as a call to pretty much call a bird right to the gun. I have two long boxes from Roger Parks and a longbox from Jeff White which I definitely will be concentrating my efforts on more this season. I also recently learned the value of kee-keeing in the spring also. I always thought of that as a fall hunting call primarily. I really appreciate all of the opinions and advice this forum provides.

Offline Rtr1987

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »
This is a subject I am finding very interesting. I started turkey hunting within the last 10 years after retiring. I hunt a lot by myself so everything I have learned is thru trial and error, watching videos, reading anything I can find and of course all of the available information on this site. I have a nice assortment of probably every type of call from some quality callmakers. I have always thought of a longbox as a call for striking birds but now I see it as a call to pretty much call a bird right to the gun. I have two long boxes from Roger Parks and a longbox from Jeff White which I definitely will be concentrating my efforts on more this season. I also recently learned the value of kee-keeing in the spring also. I always thought of that as a fall hunting call primarily. I really appreciate all of the opinions and advice this forum provides.

Those Roger Parks longboxes are the best Ive run for finishing a bird as well. Just great calls!

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 11:27:55 AM »
nice looking single shot in photo as well!

If you're referring to the single shot in my pic............

I have almost as much money in the fiddle paddle as I do the gun.   :TooFunny:

But, thank you.  It's an integral part of my K.I.S.S system and it IS a turkey hammer.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 06:22:32 PM »
I've killed way more turkeys with a long box than a short box. I only own one short box and that's a Hustlin' Hen by Billy White.  I love how well the long box works in windy conditions and at striking birds.  Even though I've used it from start to finish, I don't use it much for close work to minimize movement.  They definitely talk the talk.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline chbarnha

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 11:46:02 PM »
Thoughts ??

I think I have a couple of them.

Did somebody say "hunting with a Watkins fiddle paddle" ??  Sounds like a good idea !!   :toothy9:

That gun is phenomenal! Boyd’s stocks or original? Also interested in getting two of your box call holsters one for a fiddle paddle and one for a fiddlebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 06:21:40 AM »
Thoughts ??

I think I have a couple of them.

Did somebody say "hunting with a Watkins fiddle paddle" ??  Sounds like a good idea !!   :toothy9:

That gun is phenomenal! Boyd’s stocks or original? Also interested in getting two of your box call holsters one for a fiddle paddle and one for a fiddlebox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, sir !!

The stock is OEM equipment.  The laminates were a little on the uncommon side.  Most of them were on limited edition NWTF guns (and most of those were youth .410s).  This one's not one of those.  Kinda an oddball.  But a great shooter.

I'll PM ya on the holsters. 
PA elitist since 1979

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 08:58:54 AM »
Use a TJ Johnson long box often, fall and spring. It has ALL the turkey sounds. Have found jake yelps which are easy to run on it often seal the deal when the gobbler is interested in the hen, but is hesitant to come in.

The long box also has the ability to sound like a young hen, middle of the road hen and an old raspy hen.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »
TJ builds a NASTY good fiddle box !!!!

Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

Online mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 12:52:09 PM »
Imo there zero reason to carry a short box. Longbox does it all and more better.

I really cannot argue with that thought brother. Even better if you also have a scratch box in the vest with the longbox.  ;)
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13