turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ticks and boots

Started by Old Timer, March 15, 2023, 10:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

For 45 years I have worn rubber boots turkey hunting. The advantage is staying dry crossing creeks, wet fields and tick prevention. I always spray clothes with Sawyers. I have bone spurs and the hiking boots feel a lot better. Question for the guys that use hiking boots and gaiters do you have a tick problem? Or do the gaiters help prevent this. Thanks

mullet dredge

Gaiters soaked in permethrin definitely remedy the problem....

paboxcall

Quote from: mullet dredge on March 15, 2023, 10:18:57 AM

This, and I keep pant bottoms tucked into the tops of my boots.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

kloppy

Quote from: mullet dredge on March 15, 2023, 10:18:57 AM

This has been my experience as well. Good gaiters will also keep your feet plenty dry for your average creek crossing.

bbcoach

Whatever you wear, put Permethrin on it.  Boots, pants, shirts, jacket, gaiters, vest, hat, gloves, facemask and leafy suits.  Remember, we are walking and setting on the ground that ticks call home.  Don't take any chances, Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever aren't something you want to get.  These are diseases that effect you neurologically and can stay with you for years.

Crotalus

I wear hiking boots for comfort.  I have short First Lite gaiters for general dry weather use and a pair of taller Kuiu when thinks are wetter.

Permethrin on boot top, pants bottom and gaiters.

Yoder409

I wear lace-up (Irish Setter) snake boots sprayed with Permethrin.  My bibs.....also sprayed with Permethrin......are tucked into my boots.

Knock on wood..... I've had no tick issues at ALL. 

I find that bibs offer a whole other level of deterrence since there's no gap at the waistline for the little bastiges to sneak in.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

btomlin

I say the gaiters make an incredible difference over open pant leg.   I used to wear rubber boots for the same reason as you and went to hikers 2 yrs ago.  I didn't want to wear (buy) gaiters.  That 1st year in MO I had more tick bites than prior 10yrs combined and used plenty of permithrin I thought.   Tried the (I sprayed heavy w permithrin) gaiters last year and I'm never going back to rubber boots unless it is super muddy.  Not a tick all year.  I'm a believer....

WV Flopper

I use Sawyer's with pants and no gaiters. I don't have tick issues. I do spray boots and socks as well as pants. I switch out pants but don't wash. I do reapply to boots every couple weeks and I run two pairs of boots switching them up. Both pair of boots I run are leather hikers.

I need to start spraying this weekend!

Brillo

Rubber boots may be better for ticks but they are not my first choice.  I spray it all with my mix in a gallon sprayer.  Lay it out on my deck and after it dries I flip it over.  I do that with my hunting, outdoor working and canoeing clothing  It is important to follow the given formula and spray while your clothing is flat, not hanging, so the chemical can penetrates evenly.

utfan1

Mix my own permethrine extra strong . Zero issues

Turkeybutt

I mix my own permethrine and haven't had a problem. Question... how long when mixed is the permethrine good for? Can you use the left over mix from last year or toss it out and mix a new batch?

bbcoach

Quote from: Turkeybutt on March 16, 2023, 03:44:50 AM
I mix my own permethrine and haven't had a problem. Question... how long when mixed is the permethrine good for? Can you use the left over mix from last year or toss it out and mix a new batch?
I keep a spray bottle in my truck for deer season and touch ups during the spring.  What I have noticed is, the permethrin will separate from the water, like oil and water does.  I just give it a few good shakes and spray away.  Doesn't seem to effect the Stopping power at all.

Turkeybutt

krm944

Quote from: Turkeybutt on March 16, 2023, 03:44:50 AM

I just read thru the sticky on permethrin as I'm getting ready to soak a ton of clothes. What I'm reading is sun breaks down the permethrin, not age. Not an expert, just adding newly gleaned info