OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sauer sl5 turkey

Started by Rockhound, March 14, 2023, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

I haven't seen alot posted about these so I thought I'd do a write up. I ordered this gun in from a distributor of the gun shop I work at. I went with the old school bottomland.

The gun weighs in at 7 pounds, and the first thing I done was take the sling attachments out of the stock and the one where the stock meets the receiver. I then removed the picatinny rail. There are several holes drilled in the receiver that set on top of the barrel that take short screws through the base, and 2 long screws behind the barrel, these 2 screws are set with red loctite, so be prepared for that when you remove them or take them to someone who can. The holes look like 8-40, but 8'40 screws will not fit, so the drilled and tapped holes have a funky European thread pitch. I had to have my smith tap an existing hole and drill and tap another hole to install my sumtoy mount.

I installed the sumtoy mount and added a holosun 507c x2 green and my faithful Indian creek 665 crio thread. I sighted in this afternoon with dove loads which cycled flawlessly.  After getting it tuned in I backed upto 50 yards and shot my handloaded 2oz 8.5 tss loads. The shot produced around 205 in a 10" at 50 yards. Very uniform pattern. I have to deep clean all my turkey guns/ chokes in a few days and I plan to pattern at least once more in a bit warmer Temps, but she's a killer as it sets.

The 18.5" barrel and lightweight drew me to this gun and it doesn't disappoint. Recoil is not harsh. Taking everything extra off and adding the sumtoy and holosun is gonna be right at that 7 pound mark maybe a hair shy of it.

From what I can tell alot of the parts will interchange with a benelli including the stock. I may play with it after season as I would like to take an inch to an inch and a half off the stock and make a compact gun on both ends, but that's for another day.

The only thing I found on the gun I dont like is all the holes drilled in the receiver, and the fact that they don't line up  nor are they tapped standard, which don't amount to a hill of beans if your gonna use the pic rail that's included.

the Ward

Nice write up, thanks for sharing your review Rockhound. Sounds like it is going to be a great
turkey gun, and really handy with the 18.5 barrel. It is good they stuck with a tried and true
choke system, instead of some proprietary obscure one that is difficult to find. Good looking
guns for sure!