OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Does a ported choke equal less recoil?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
Does a ported choke equal less recoil?
« on: March 14, 2023, 12:34:16 PM »
I know William says ports are for boats and I trust what he says. I’m using a Sumtoy in my 870. But I know a muzzle break on a rifle makes a huge difference in recoil. How much difference does a ported choke tube make in felt recoil. It’s something I was thinking about for tweaking my shotgun for my son to use on the youth hunt. I know he won’t feel the recoil when shooting at a bird but if I can do something to help out a little I figure I might as well give it a try.  I made the mistake of letting him shoot an old stevens single shot 20 with a high brass shell a few years ago. He’d been shooting the .22 and when he shot the shotgun it obviously kicked him a lot harder. I think he just wasn’t expecting it. So I feel like he’ll be nervous to shoot a shotgun now. In the interest of not creating any fear or bad habits I’d like to do what I can to lessen the recoil. I’ve gotten some good suggestions on 2 3/4” shells. Is it worth trying a different choke or will it not be noticeable at all?  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Does a ported choke equal less recoil?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »
I shoot a Classic Doubles 101 with ported barrels for ducks and geesse.  I feel no difference in felt recoil regardless of load - allegedly the higher pressure the load the greater the difference in felt recoil.   I just can't discern that.  Muzzle rise is why a lot of the target guys like ported barrels, but I have just not shot a lot of similar guns with and without porting to know the difference. I do know that I have great confidence in the gun and it may by due to that, but hard to say.  I would never go get a barrel ported to reduce recoil or muzzle rise though.  Not sure there is enough difference to a hunter.  A super busy day on ducks I may open the second box and a super busy snow goose hunt I may open a third box-but those are the exceptions. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Yeah I was wondering since the shotgun barrel is already so open if it would matter. I bought a different muzzle break for my AR. It didn’t really have any recoil to start with but now the barrel doesn’t move at all. It comes at the price of decibels though. For competition shooting it makes a difference in speed.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »
I have shot several shotguns with both ported and unported chokes. I could perceive no noticeable difference in recoil.  I once owned a Mossberg 835 with a ported barrel.  Ports or not the recoil with 3.5 Magnums was brutal. I sold it even though it shot great patterns. I would rather shoot my Browning BPS "Big 10".
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »
The ole 835’s have quiet the reputation in the recoil department. It sounds like the chokes don’t make that much difference. That’s good to know.

Offline Jordan121787

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »
I felt a noticeable difference in recoil with my CNC vs Sumtoy. The Sumtoy won pattern wise so that’s what I chose, but I did notice a difference.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 07:34:22 AM »
Personally, I would worry more about beating up your son's eardrums than his shoulder. A good quality recoil pad is probably better money spent for recoil reduction. Ports are definitely louder for the user.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 08:20:33 AM »
Personally, I would worry more about beating up your son's eardrums than his shoulder. A good quality recoil pad is probably better money spent for recoil reduction. Ports are definitely louder for the user.
We’ve always used Howard Leight headphones when shooting deer.  We won’t be hunting inside a blind so that may be tough depending on the situation but we’ll carry them in case he’s able to slip them on. They have a microphone so you can still hear everything.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 09:21:37 AM »
Ported barrels help with Recoil.   Ported chokes is just a easy not thought out way to try and slow the wad.   Now If you looking to help recoil cut the forcing cone out the gun and save your ears. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
Well, they sure let the sound out!

Offline gobrunner

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
I too have a Mossburg 835 and what is the best way to tame the recoil ?

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »
Ported barrels help with Recoil.   Ported chokes is just a easy not thought out way to try and slow the wad.   Now If you looking to help recoil cut the forcing cone out the gun and save your ears.
x2. I have a barrel you lengthened the forcing cone on, and there is a noticeable difference
when shooting fast loads.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 01:46:31 PM »
Well y’all are really giving me stuff to think about now!

Offline swampfox44

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 11:15:32 PM »
Never felt a difference between a ported and non ported choke in recoil reduction. I've got a few ported barrel guns as well, just made things louder. As far as recoil, a lengthened and polished forcing cone and quality recoil pad has made the biggest difference on my 3.5" guns.
SwampFox    Proud Father of a United States Marine

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 07:18:13 AM »
We’ve always used Howard Leight headphones when shooting deer.  We won’t be hunting inside a blind so that may be tough depending on the situation but we’ll carry them in case he’s able to slip them on. They have a microphone so you can still hear everything.

Good to hear that you are starting him right with the headphones. I wear electronic in the canal earplugs now when I hunt deer and turkeys and double up on protection at the range with foam earplugs and muffs. Just wish we had known then what we know now when I started shooting 50 years ago. Then I wouldn't have to say huh? nearly as much.