OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best Affordable Red Dot?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline NightHawk24

Best Affordable Red Dot?
« on: March 13, 2023, 07:12:33 PM »
Looking for a red dot for my 301 20GA. Really interested in the Swampfox Kingslayer and the Burris FF3, but just wondering if there was some others I should consider. TIA!

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Best Affordable Red Dot?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
Kingslayer

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:38:30 PM »
I’ve run some Bushnell RXS-100 on a few guns and if money is super tight that’s been a solid set up on everything I’ve ever put it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline krm944

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 07:50:28 PM »
I’ve run some Bushnell RXS-100 on a few guns and if money is super tight that’s been a solid set up on everything I’ve ever put it on.

Bass pro has the Bushnell on sale for $75

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bushnell-rxs-100-red-dot-reflex-sight?searchTerm=Bushnell%20rxs

Offline Glades

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 09:01:47 AM »
Burris FF3 is the best deal in the market. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Burris FF3 is $160 and has a lifetime/no-questions-asked repair or replacement warranty. Only Burris and Vortex have that type of warranty. The Vortex is just as good but $90 more. If you are ever on a hunt, crawling and smash your glass on a rock and it breaks, Burris will give you a new unit. Vortex would do the same. Trijicon, Swampfox and Holosun will politely tell you to go fly a kite. Get the FF3.

Offline fmf

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 09:34:30 AM »
sig romeo 5

I wouldn't put another kingslayer on a turkey gun if it was the last optic on earth.  That thing is terrible for hunting, I have one laying around that I might put on an air rifle or something, but never on a turkey gun.  It turns itself off after 4 hours.  Period.  I don't care if you move it, adjust the intensity of the dot, whatever, that thing is going to turn off at the 4 hour mark and you have to manually turn it back on.  Chances are its gonna happen with a turkey in front of you sooner or later. 

You can get the romeo 5 considerably cheaper, it has WAY better battery life,  is auto off/on and the motion activation is very sensitive, you don't have to ever worry about it not turning on. 

Offline Birddog1

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 06:20:50 PM »
sig romeo 5

I wouldn't put another kingslayer on a turkey gun if it was the last optic on earth.  That thing is terrible for hunting, I have one laying around that I might put on an air rifle or something, but never on a turkey gun.  It turns itself off after 4 hours.  Period.  I don't care if you move it, adjust the intensity of the dot, whatever, that thing is going to turn off at the 4 hour mark and you have to manually turn it back on.  Chances are its gonna happen with a turkey in front of you sooner or later. 

You can get the romeo 5 considerably cheaper, it has WAY better battery life,  is auto off/on and the motion activation is very sensitive, you don't have to ever worry about it not turning on.

I’m curious if you contacted Swampfox about the issue?  As I understand it, if the buttons are pressed it shouldn’t shut off.  It seems that most folks are pretty happy with their Kingslayer and from what I have read their customer service is good. 

Online eddie234

• Longbeard
Best Affordable Red Dot?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 06:43:57 PM »
Burris FF3 is the best deal in the market. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Burris FF3 is $160 and has a lifetime/no-questions-asked repair or replacement warranty. Only Burris and Vortex have that type of warranty. The Vortex is just as good but $90 more. If you are ever on a hunt, crawling and smash your glass on a rock and it breaks, Burris will give you a new unit. Vortex would do the same. Trijicon, Swampfox and Holosun will politely tell you to go fly a kite. Get the FF3.
Where are you finding this for 160.00, everywhere I’m looking says 250ish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Wigsplitter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »
I’m curious as to why you would need it on 4hrs  or longer?? That’s one heck of a gobbler duel ! I would be wore out!!! I too have heard excellent results from this sight

Offline J-Shaped

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 10:30:20 PM »
sig romeo 5

I’m curious if you contacted Swampfox about the issue?  As I understand it, if the buttons are pressed it shouldn’t shut off.  It seems that most folks are pretty happy with their Kingslayer and from what I have read their customer service is good.

It's not an issue. That is how the Kingslayer is designed. It is not designed as a Shake and Wake optic.

https://support.swampfoxoptics.com/en-US/kingslayer-and-liberator-auto-off-can-it-be-programmed-25744

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 10:38:49 PM »
I’ve been real happy with the at3 micro red dots. Same footprint as a Fastfire, cheaper, and I like the button and battery cap quite a bit more.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline fmf

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 04:49:20 AM »
I’m curious as to why you would need it on 4hrs  or longer?? That’s one heck of a gobbler duel ! I would be wore out!!! I too have heard excellent results from this sight

it doesn't have to be a 4 hour duel, if I didn't have a shake awake site, I would turn my site on when I leave my truck.  Or if it was a high battery life I would just put a new battery in it turn it on on opening morning and never turn it off.  Repeat each year.  What is the other option, wait to get on a bird and turn on your site?  Nah, thats not for me at all.    No way I'm hunting something that can turn off at the wrong time.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 09:28:34 AM »
Swampfox Kingslayer ... Awesome circle green dot and if you were ever to need it, great customer service...

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 08:01:12 AM »

This is what I put on on my SA-28. Hard to imagine a better sight for under $100.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Online hawkeye1958

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 09:31:48 AM »
Camera Land New York still has the SightronSRS-2 Reflex Sight Kit - MOA-6 for $119.99.

Some may not like the 6 MOA dotbut it works good for me.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sightron-srs-2-reflex-sight-kit-moa-6-40021/bdb22850-45c4-013a-67f8-00163ecd2826?variation=3137941&query=SightronSRS-2%20