turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Options for vision issues

Started by Paladin85, May 11, 2023, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin85

I'm a right-handed shooter with cross eye dominance and astigmatism.  I went to a receiver mounted Burris FF3 years ago with great success but my astigmatism is becoming more of an issue now. The red dot diffuses into a broad starburst and, depending on distance and light conditions, will almost obscure the turkey's head and neck area. Very frustrating! I've read here that green dots or circle green dots might help. Would a compact scope with reticle be better despite the cons of weight and precise alignment? I welcome your opinions!

Tim

Greg Massey

I have some of the same problems with astigmatism and between the red / green the green works better for myself... But the green is still not perfect... I going to check out the NEW turkey scope made by Hawke Optic ... If you get a chance check it out on YouTube go to Review this Thing and you can see a review of the scope... I like the idea of this scope because it has an etched glass dot and reticle and it doesn't have to be illuminated for you to still use the scope etc... This scope has the option of a red / green circle type dot ... you can switch between either color ...

Paladin85

Thanks Greg. I'll check out the Hawke scope.

Dazzler

I've read prism scopes are a good option for crappy eyes like ours.

PV266

Primary arms makes several prism scopes.  I have astigmatism and bought the Slx 1x prism scope. It has an etched reticle which is a nice feature because you don't have to use the illumination.  It comes in red and green I believe.  It sits a little higher than some other red dots but I use a foam comb riser and it is perfect.  It comes with two mounts, a low and a high in case you want to use it on an AR.  Glass quality is very good as well.  Some folks have concerns with eye alignment with rifle scopes or prism scopes, but I have not found this to be an issue with this prism optic.  Good luck

Greg Massey

Yes, but I'd rather have one that's built for turkey hunters with the range finder inside the optic... IMO...

Paladin85

Thanks Guys. You've given me good information. I will look at these options.

Dazzler

Quote from: PV266 on May 11, 2023, 02:55:59 PM
Primary arms makes several prism scopes.  I have astigmatism and bought the Slx 1x prism scope. It has an etched reticle which is a nice feature because you don't have to use the illumination.  It comes in red and green I believe.  It sits a little higher than some other red dots but I use a foam comb riser and it is perfect.  It comes with two mounts, a low and a high in case you want to use it on an AR.  Glass quality is very good as well.  Some folks have concerns with eye alignment with rifle scopes or prism scopes, but I have not found this to be an issue with this prism optic.  Good luck
That's pretty sweet. Half the weight of the hawk and much smaller. Also "night vision"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV266

Plus eye relief is better...I do believe it has night vision setting although I never use it so not positive.  Additionally the reticle is fairly similar to the Hawke with a horseshoe and center chevron vs a dot but works the same anyway.  Plus you get veteran and first responder discount.  And like you said it is much shorter

Quote from: Dazzler on May 11, 2023, 06:32:29 PM
Quote from: PV266 on May 11, 2023, 02:55:59 PM
That's pretty sweet. Half the weight of the hawk and much smaller. Also "night vision"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcmacd 58

The older guys are watching this thread .... when the eyes start fading it's bad news .....