OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fox vest flippers  (Read 4922 times)

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Fox vest flippers
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 08:30:37 PM »
Yep, they should have included a set of Ginsu knives to skin the turkey with after you carry it in the vest. Back in the day you could order Ginsu knives COD off the TV commercial and pay the ups driver when they were delivered. Times have changed.

Online J-Shaped

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:04 PM »
Yep, they should have included a set of Ginsu knives to skin the turkey with after you carry it in the vest. Back in the day you could order Ginsu knives COD off the TV commercial and pay the ups driver when they were delivered. Times have changed.

They'd saw through that lead pipe then slice a tomato with no effort whatsoever. Such good times. Wish we could go back.  ;D

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 11:28:13 AM »
I’d like to have one of these vests but too rich for my blood.
And….. “Is this still Law Boy? <“))))><“
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2023, 12:41:21 PM »
I saw one on Facebook for sale this morning for $1,000.00. He was trying to word it an be all cool like he didn’t buy it just to flip it.  If that’s what you’re doing just own it and say you bought it to resale.  It was a cringey post and he was taking a good bit of heat over it.  Not judging just reporting what I’ve seen.

Honestly, and I haven’t seen anyone talking about this,  but just from a vest standpoint is it any good?  I only talked to one guy that looked at it at the show and he said he thought it sucked. Looked cheap.  That may be totally wrong. Idk. If it was a $150-$200 dollar vest from nomad or ol tom would it be dominating the market right now. How good is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
This is the coolest thing I've experienced since the launch of the Helicopter Lure and the Banjo Minnow.

Difference is the banjo minnow actually caught fish.
Jim

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 02:23:50 PM »
This is the coolest thing I've experienced since the launch of the Helicopter Lure and the Banjo Minnow.

:TooFunny:

The vest comes with a salt shaker, when you sprinkle it on a turkey tail ya can catch em!
 :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Online J-Shaped

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »

LOL, I'll never know. Never bought either, but sadly did try the Dancin' Eel  ;D

Online J-Shaped

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2023, 03:13:42 PM »

Honestly, and I haven’t seen anyone talking about this,  but just from a vest standpoint is it any good?  I only talked to one guy that looked at it at the show and he said he thought it sucked. Looked cheap.  That may be totally wrong. Idk. If it was a $150-$200 dollar vest from nomad or ol tom would it be dominating the market right now. How good is it?

I saw a review on another forum from a guy that also has a Dixon vest. His initial thoughts were that he wished the straps were longer or adjustable because it sat kind of high, the cushion only had buckles, not magnets, and that it was very rigid feeling, likely due to all the leather that would break in over time. I've also seen reviews stating it is heavy and likely would be pretty hot. It looks pretty similar to a Dixon, so I could see that for sure. Not my reviews, just stating what I've read.

There are over 40 on eBay as I type this, lol. Wonder how many were purchased by the same old dudes at my local Walmart who spent every morning meeting at the sporting goods counter to buy their allotted 2 boxes of .22 ammo to add to their stash they never shoot, but are saving "just in case" they ever take "junior" to the range. Even funnier how many are from sellers with no eBay history or feedback.

Oh well, their prerogative, not mine. Strange times.

Offline BMAC_Turkeys

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 04:04:41 PM »

[/quote]

I saw a review on another forum from a guy that also has a Dixon vest. His initial thoughts were that he wished the straps were longer or adjustable because it sat kind of high, the cushion only had buckles, not magnets, and that it was very rigid feeling, likely due to all the leather that would break in over time. I've also seen reviews stating it is heavy and likely would be pretty hot. It looks pretty similar to a Dixon, so I could see that for sure. Not my reviews, just stating what I've read.

[/quote]

I would think OSFM would be hard to work for everyone and there are those that hate the dixon vest about call holders being too hot etc so I could see them objecting to this vest since its similar.  Its never affected me in any way and love the dixon vest. But good point you bring up about how it actually is.  I assumed like the Dixon the fabric would be "jean like" as the dixon and strong. maybe its more like a nomad and HATE to hear no magnets on the seat.  That actually might deter me from buying one.

Offline Southernson13

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 04:19:08 PM »

There are over 40 on eBay as I type this, lol. Wonder how many were purchased by the same old dudes at my local Walmart who spent every morning meeting at the sporting goods counter to buy their allotted 2 boxes of .22 ammo to add to their stash they never shoot, but are saving "just in case" they ever take "junior" to the range. Even funnier how many are from sellers with no eBay history or feedback.

I think it is a very well mapped out vest. I actually enjoy that it sits a little high. I will day I was disappointed when I opened it that it didn't have magnets because to me it seems the Dixon vest had the best magnet system I've seen. The grand slam is decent but not great. It is minorly stiff due to all the leather but I fully expect that to change after a few hunts. I will say I mentioned in the other thread the biggest downfall I see is how thick the material is like the Dixon and it will be hot. I don't see myself wearing it much after the first three weeks of the season. On the plus side I think that will make it last a lifetime to pass down which was half the reason for purchase.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 04:30:31 PM »
I saw one on Facebook for sale this morning for $1,000.00. He was trying to word it an be all cool like he didn’t buy it just to flip it.  If that’s what you’re doing just own it and say you bought it to resale.  It was a cringey post and he was taking a good bit of heat over it.  Not judging just reporting what I’ve seen.

From someone who has held both in hand and now owns a Fox, they are definitely similar to the Dixon vest in layout which is a pretty solid layout for a vest. But it's basically a heavier duty version of the same vest, and with that comes an even heavier weight. People that complained about the Dixon's being too warm and weighing too much, they would hate a Fox vest for sure. In my opinion, there's nothing about it that's cheap in feel or appearance though, and certainly not in price. It's a quality product, even if it was manufactured overseas.

The Ol' Tom Gunslinger's that are basically a Dixon/Limbhanger vest in design are one of the top in the market right now and my go to hunting vest at the moment. Same layout as the Dixon/Fox with the Claw type straps of the Dixon, but much lighter and fabric that breathes better.

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 05:46:38 PM »
I will love it if it adds warmth.   I was sitting in 8” of snow last year during MD’s first week.  And a few years before that I shot a gobbler in 3” snow that came down the first day.   

Offline DUPREE

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 07:23:38 AM »

Sounds like my review from GON.

I’ll update as I wear it hunting. My son will be wearing his this weekend, but I’m gonna wear my dixon for now. I’ll wear the fox when my turn on the trigger comes, which will be a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 08:13:41 AM by DUPREE »

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2023, 07:28:15 AM »
No magnets on the seat, what the heck.  Mine is getting modified if that is true

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2023, 07:39:40 AM »
I had a Dixon vest that I regretfully sold years ago, before you needed to get a home equity loan to buy one.. I watched a video review of the Fox vest, and it is made from the same materials, very heavy duty stuff. I hunt in the North East where most of our mornings start out near freezing the first few weeks, so these vest are good. I could see why Southern hunters might get hot in these vests, Fox and Dixon. What I will say is it was the best quality workmanship and materials on any vest I’ve had. Would have liked to replace it with a Fox, just didn’t get the opportunity…
“Solo hunter”