OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Grand Slam changes

Started by Old Timer, March 11, 2020, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

I just picked up some 3.5 grand slams in #6 shot(they were out of 5's) to try in my new
Sx4. Looking forward to seeing how they do. They had some 10 gauge grand slams too,
which I really want to try out one of these days. I am well stocked with turkey loads, but
I like to try new stuff. The Federal turkey thug ammo shot great, and was really inexpensive.
If these shoot at least as good as the thugs did, they will be my new go-to lead loads.

PALongspur

I've had great luck with both the 20 gauge load and the 3" 12 gauge loads. I think they're a great option.

Longshanks

Got hurt and haven't been about to shoot a gun or Turkey hunt. Hopefully going to make Missouri turkey season. Going to try these through my REM870's with 21" and 26" bbl. They have Hastings .655 and .665 non ported chokes in them. CT1 barrels. Been Leary about running TSS through them so hoping the GS 3" 5's and 6's will work.

Old Timer

Quote from: Longshanks on March 24, 2023, 12:42:03 PM
Got hurt and haven't been about to shoot a gun or Turkey hunt. Hopefully going to make Missouri turkey season. Going to try these through my REM870's with 21" and 26" bbl. They have Hastings .655 and .665 non ported chokes in them. CT1 barrels. Been Leary about running TSS through them so hoping the GS 3" 5's and 6's will work.
I wish you well and a good recovery. They did not work for me but a buddy of mine runs them through his 870 and similar choke constrictions.

krm944

I have a fair amount of experience with Federal's flite-control wad which I believe was used in some of the Turkey loads.

I used the FC was in some buckshot that shot EXTREMELY well but preferred a more open choke. Looking at how Federal describes how the wad works, the wad is responsible for pattern, not the choke.

I have a theory the federal 410 tss w/ flite control will perform better from less choke than more choke.

b wilt

My Supermag does really well with the 3.5 #6's and a .660 Tightwad. I would like to try the 3 inch #6's as son as i can find some.