OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rubber boots for run and gun style Turkey hunting?  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
Re: Rubber boots for run and gun style Turkey hunting?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 12:10:38 PM »
Not sure what you mean by hill country but in eastern Kentucky/ southwest Virginia where I hunt those hills will eat rubber boots and your feet alive. If your hiking any amount of distance in serious terrain I’d go with some sturdy hiking boots and leg gaiters

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 12:25:06 PM »
Rubber and run’n’gun don’t go together in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bingoman

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2023, 02:56:03 PM »

. The chap/wader part folds down & tucks tight to in the boot. Wanna cross a creek, just pull em up to your waste. Will get you into a lot of places a huge majority avoid. 

Love to see a pic of the waders tucked in the boot and also deployed. If you could post a pic, that'd be awesome

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2023, 05:41:28 PM »
I have tried every option available I think, and have settled on Grange boot with turtle skins gaiters. I no longer look down and my feet never get wet. They will last me 2 years for about $90. I even wore them to North Dakota on a duck hunt and Colorado on an elk hunt. The outfitters at both places said they had never seen anybody show up wearing Grange boots before, lol. I would probably wear them to church if I could. My son just bought the Lite boots but I think they are like wearing stove pipes. Just my $.02

Offline zanebritton9263

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 06:13:49 PM »
Cant beat a Lacrosse Grange in my opinion, I’ve tried at least a dozen different rubber boots and always go back to the grange.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2023, 06:46:32 PM »
Rubber and run’n’gun don’t go together in my book.

x2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Tca126

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2023, 06:50:13 PM »
Will be used primarily in locations where I have to cross streams/creeks due to specific access points. I normally just run Solomon 6” hiking boots with chaps, but no way to tip toe across without getting soaked.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2023, 07:38:12 PM »
Will be used primarily in locations where I have to cross streams/creeks due to specific access points. I normally just run Solomon 6” hiking boots with chaps, but no way to tip toe across without getting soaked.

Solomon makes a good boot. I’ve got a few places where I have to cross knee deep creeks and I’ve packed my cheapo hip waders in and put them on/took them off and stashed them on the other side and kept hunting. Not an option everywhere but I’ve done it. That said a couple feet of water is a great way to separate yourself from a crowd

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2023, 07:51:14 PM »
How about a pair of wiggy's thigh high waders for the crossings?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »
 I think the term "Run and Gun" has changed with my age. I still hunt the same as I did when I was 20 but slower and no smarter. I go till I am tired, then turn around. Maybe a trot/fast walk and gun for me???

A short day of no killing is easy 6 miles, a long day can be dumb. I have never owned or entertained a pair of rubber boots I would wear to turkey hunt the way I enjoy to hunt.

Two contractor bags can serve as waders if your gently, easy to stow and don't way much. Been wearing 6" Crispi hikers and just ordered a pair of Meidl lite hikers, 6".

If your walking through grass for a couple hundreds yards to your blind the rubber boots may work just fine. If your hunting 400-500 acres the rubbers may be good too in flat ground. Otherwise I would look towards a hiker or hunting boot.

Maybe your young and tuff, which is good but age will change your mind shortly.

Offline Howieg

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 07:59:25 PM »
Put a pair of commercial grade garbage bags in your vest . This way you can cross a unexpected creek etc .
This way you can wear hikers every hunt .

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2023, 11:39:04 PM »
I wear Lacrosse Grange boots quite a bit. Very comfortable for me with the ankle fit. Wear them for most of my turkey hunting and almost all my upland hunting. 6 to 8 miles a day in them is not out of the ordinary and have done a lot more. That said I wear a pair of Danner Pronghorns in the mountains except if it is really wet or snow, then I wear the Grange.

Been wearing the Grange boots for about 30 years. The rubber ain't what it use to be but I rub  Ballistol oil on them twice a year and can get 4 or 5 years out of them instead of 2 to 3 years.

Another thing I do to make them more comfortable is use the Lacrosse felt insoles. They come in 2 different thicknesses and I can get a perfect fit with them. Plus they add a bit of extra padding against the ground.

Offline kythunter

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2023, 08:28:48 AM »
I've worn LaCosse Grange for years. They used to be made in the USA but now they're made in China I believe. Quality has gone down. Get about one year out of a boot now. Last year I wore Crispi Lapponia with leg gator and really liked that setup.
Looking hard at the LITE rubber boots. Held a pair and they are unbelievably light.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »
There are 43 replies on this and I'm not going to read them all I'm just small little cell phone, but one thing I wanted to bring up just in case it hasn't been brought up is when it comes to rubber boots if you have a problem with a high instep you may very well have to look at a pair of boots with a zipper on the side or they'll be very difficult to get on or off. That's one of the major reasons I don't wear rubber boots because I can't find any that are comfortable that have that side zipper and because I can't get my feet out of them or in them for that matter without a lot of difficulty. Just food thought.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2023, 09:02:19 AM »
I wore Mucks for year then Dry Shod, then plantar fasciitis and I'm not wearing anything except Crispi or an equivalent boot.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.