OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem. 870 23” barrel choke ideas.

Started by Ohiowoodchuck, March 12, 2023, 08:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohiowoodchuck

I've been fortunate enough to harvest a few turkeys over the years with my 870 super mag with a 23" barrel and Indian creek .665 I've been using hevi-13 in a 3.5" 2-1/4oz load of 6's. Well I'm down to a box of 5 and I believe there discontinued. I've noticed most of the shells went up to around 80.00 for a box of 5 and I'm just not paying it. Before hevi shot came out, I used a kicks in .665 and the Winchester double x's at 1300 FPS in 3.5" 2oz load of 5's. I got plenty of these shells left along with the Winchester long beards in 5's and 6's. I was thinking of trying a jebs and a sumtoy with one of these shells. Anybody got a recommendation on the constriction.

bbcoach

Welcome to OG!  I would try the IC .665 with the LB's before trying another choke.  I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the IC.  Those 5's or 6's should put up a Quality pattern at 40.  The early LB 6's were around 250, if I remember correctly with the IC.

the Ward

I agree with BBcoach, I think the choke you have now will do great with the Longbeards.
If you do want to try a new choke, give William at Sumtoy a call and he will set you up!

Tom007

I agree with both above. Indian Creek .665 and recommendations from William at Sumtoy
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

My 23" shurshot shoots long beards well with any choke from .660-.665, I have 5-6 different chokes but It shoots amazing patterns with the longbeard xr choke. I would shoot what you have before you buy a new choke unless you just want a new choke, and I understand that thought, I would try a longbeard xr for sure.

40 yards, 3.5" lb 6's.- LB xr choke.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

I flattened a bird at 10 feet a few years back and blew its head off with this setup. That was the closest turkey I have ever shot.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for the ideas. I might try one of the sumtoy also just to see for myself. I done that a few years ago with a custom choke from a different card shoot barrel guy and hevi-13's. He was 12 steps and his head was held on by a string. I went to a Indian creek after that because it was just to tight. I was afraid I was going to miss one.

Ahollon3

IC 665 and win longbeard xr 5 and 6 shot are great out of my 870

Gooserbat

Id personally spend the money on tss and use the . 665 Indian Creek. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.