OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How would you describe the turkey sound you are looking for in a turkey call?

Started by Brillo, April 18, 2023, 08:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Great thread...  Some knowledgeable people have replied with some excellent responses!

One thing I would add, is that there are some sounds I am looking for a call to make.  Whether it be purring, cutting, yelping etc...

What I look for in a call (whether friction call or mouth call), is one that makes the sounds I want to easily.  If there is a call that makes the perfect yelp, but takes a degree of difficulty and skill involved, that I have to think about, that is not a call I want in my vest.

Granted, a scratcher does take some practice to learn...  But I can now reach in my vest, pull out a striker and scratcher and make all the sounds I want without looking and without thinking about how to make those sounds.

I do NOT want to be thinking "now how do I make that sound again" as I have a bird unexpectedly side-hilling me on a "make or break" moment.

Unless I am eating, I always have a diaphragm call handy (generally in my mouth).  I might switch diaphragm calls for different sounds, but every season I have "that" call that just makes the sounds I like easier, and that is the one in my mouth.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.