OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mid day locator calls  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Tsgman

Mid day locator calls
« on: March 09, 2023, 11:26:21 PM »
Hello all,

I live and hunt turkey mostly in Oregon.   I have no problem getting the Tom's to give up their location at night or early morning with owl calls, but I haven't found anything that works mid day other than yelping.  I have had them strike when coyotes let it rip mid morning,  but think using a coyote call may be more problematic if the birds are close.  I have tried crow calls (crows are not common where I hunt, but raven are), Elk bugles, and I tried Peacock calls once upon a time.  The only way I have been able to get a mid day gobble is with yelps.

Does anyone have or know of a productive mid day turkey locator that works up here?  Call maker recommendation welcome.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
Re: Mid day locator calls
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 06:37:26 AM »
My go to on the east coast is my Gibson walnut crow call. Cutting on a box or ceramic call is my second choice.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Offline Tsgman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:37:42 AM »
Thanks for the response.   Do you know if the presents of crows make a crow call more effective?  I have never gotten a gobble out of mine, but it is a mass production call.  I am hoping to fine something relatively effective that is not a turkey call.

Offline slicksbeagles1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 08:37:44 AM »
Have you ever tried a hawk screamer or a dog whistle? I haven’t tried the whistle yet but, I’m going to try this year

Offline Tsgman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm going to have to find my dog whistle and give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 10:32:08 PM »
I have used a goose call with success

Offline krm944

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 10:43:25 PM »
See this article:

https://projectupland.com/turkey-hunting/what-is-a-shock-gobble/

Over my last 20 years of observing turkeys, I’ve encountered a vast variety of sounds and noises at which a longbeard will shock gobble in response. I’ve used the classic calls like a barred owl, crow and coyote howler with varying levels of success. Likewise, goose flutes, wood duck whistles, peacock screamers, and woodpecker tubes all seem to work, as well. I’ve laughed at shock gobbles in response to squealing pigs in a hog lot, baying coon dogs on the trail and one shrieking donkey looking for his breakfast.

Other odd noises can create a shock response at times. I’ve witnessed birds sound off to rolling thunder, car horns, truck doors slamming, tornado sirens,  jet plane sonic booms, chainsaw motors, train whistles, and the deep thud of rail cars hooking up. I’ve even seen a gobbler shock gobble to both distant and not-so-distant shotgun blasts. What do all these sounds have in common? Volume? Frequency? Intensity? All of the above, perhaps?

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 11:41:49 PM »
I have used a goose call with success
I took have had good luck with a goose call. I have better luck with odd calls more than the owl or crow calls. Peacock, goose,  duck calls etc. Like someone else said inhabe had them gobble when I slammed my truck door also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Tsgman

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 11:10:53 PM »
I will drag out my goose call as well.  Thanks for all the replies.

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 05:08:30 PM »
I have a 7 in 1 or something call for pintails (trill) or wigeon from years ago.  It does a very passable Red Tail Hawk call.  Had a place I hunted that was so loaded with crows the turkeys would never gobble to a crow call but they did to a Red Tail hawk.  I think the more options you have the better.  I met a guy that carries a rubber mallet and when he comes to the culverts with the metal rail on them, he bangs the mallet on those, making a "TOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM" sound.  Told me he has had tons of birds gobble to that. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »
I knew a guy here in NY that would use an Elk call and I have seen it work, more on the front end than the back as I seem to recall. I think it is because we do not have Elk in NY and it is not something they hear every day.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:34:19 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 04:13:07 PM »
Crow call resulted in the death of a bird today. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 12:26:34 PM »
I’ve had a couple of seasons where that peacock would work most of the time. I no longer have the call.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 02:58:23 PM »
I can get peacock, woodpecker, and owl screams from my coyote call. Actually the owl scream and peacock are similar except the peacock descends and the owl ascends
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline cwhitfield96

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 07:42:06 PM »
I have had good luck on public with a Haydel woodpecker call.