OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red shouldered hawk  (Read 166 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Red shouldered hawk
« on: March 20, 2024, 12:00:10 PM »
I hunt in north MS and birds will gobble pretty frequently at the sounds of a red shouldered hawk. Who makes a good call to imitate this hawk

Offline Scpossum

Re: Red shouldered hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 04:45:39 PM »
I am using an Allen Jenkins quail call for a hawk whistle this year.  Dont know if that corresponds to a red shouldered hawk whistle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattinIdaho

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 07:10:09 PM »
I have been looking at them as well. Our birds gobble very well to live hawks. Not a ton of resources to listen to any. The ones I do hear I am concerned won’t be loud enough for what I’m wanting.

Offline Scpossum

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 07:16:39 PM »
I can understand your concern with the the loudness of the quail call.

I do have one made by primos I think.  It is clear plastic and as loud as you want to get. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 10:10:23 PM »
Are you are sure you want a Red Shouldered instead of a Red Tailed.  I don’t recall hearing a gobbler gobble at a Red Shoulder but a ton gobble at a Red Tailed, but I am sure they will occasionly do so.  A Wingsetter duck caller makes a very presentable Red Tailed call as well as a very good kee kee.  Unfortunately you have to tape over one of the holes to kee kee.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game