OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dry Mouth Issues Impacting Trumpet Calling  (Read 653 times)

Offline GunRunner

Dry Mouth Issues Impacting Trumpet Calling
« on: March 09, 2023, 10:05:38 PM »
I have a terrible issue with dry mouth. I think part of the issue is the cholesterol meds I have to take. It is so bad that my dentist has me using dry mouth rinses and lozenges.

I am trying to learn how to call on the trumpet. When I have rinsed or have just taking a slug of water, I can make some decent calls but for a short time only. As soon as I start any repetitive calls I start drying out and loose my ability to make acceptable calls. I know that in the woods this is going to be worse.

I am sure some of you trumpet callers have had some dry mouth issues and I seek any advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks,
GunRunner

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Dry Mouth Issues Impacting Trumpet Calling
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 11:03:54 PM »
Drink extra water and bring hard candy.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 11:36:07 PM »
Cough drops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 06:24:23 AM »
I agree with everyone else on keeping your mouth wet with water and hard candy.  I would add that at least for me personally, its not just my mouth but my lips as well. I have found that i can run a trumpet much better with moist lips.

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 06:25:58 AM »
Feel your pain, my medication for my neck dries my mouth out. Running mouth calls is quite the challenge. I’ll be using a water bladder and hard candy this spring to help.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 08:25:34 AM »
I feel your pain too, it happens to me, when practicing especially. All my trumpets smell like Werther's Original, which hey, isnt a bad thing. But, remember in the field you'll be calling a lot less. And if all else fails I have a solution...

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Tarheel

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 09:20:09 AM »
Old fashion lemon drops will take care of the dry mouth issue.  The real problem is drinking enough water.  Those of us who don't drink enough water will always have issue with dry mouth.  When I know I'm going to be playing my trumpet yelper I try to drink more water and carry my lemon drops. 

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 06:19:51 PM »
Life savers,  cough drops, lemon drops, peppermint.   Work very well for me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 07:18:06 PM »
...And if all else fails I have a solution...

A very good solution.

That's a good looking Snozz box!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline moyehow

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 05:41:21 PM »
Jolly Ranchers!
deadbirdwalking.com

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 06:45:40 PM »
I agree with everyone else on keeping your mouth wet with water and hard candy.  I would add that at least for me personally, its not just my mouth but my lips as well. I have found that i can run a trumpet much better with moist lips.
I am there with the dry mouth but I can't do anything at all with any wind instrument if my lips are moist, I seem to lose any I guess you would say seal.

To the OP I feel for you, my Oxycodone and my Fentanyl patches dry me out horrible, I am constantly drinking even if just sitting at the computer. My other meds do not help either. I suck on a lot of Altoids Spearmint Mints, they seem to help and I don't have to go to the restroom every 10 minutes either.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
I agree with Zobo,  practicing is different from what you will actually be doing in calling out in the field while hunting ...  I agree with the water ... and a piece of candy ... i use those especially made dry mouth life - saver like candy ... they help a bunch... another good candy is the old fashioned lemon drops i was told to use those while playing trumpets ..