OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pump or Semi auto  (Read 1803 times)

Offline fmf

Re: Pump or Semi auto
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »
I've got 4 dedicated turkey guns, 2 pumps and 2 semis, I prefer the semis.  My main semi 12 gauge is more pleasant to shoot than my pump 20 gauge and the 12 only weighs about half a pound more

Offline SDK

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »
I prefer a gas powered semi over a pump for recoil reduction, but prefer an O/U to either for the choice of chokes.

Do you mean that there is a better selection of turkey chokes available for an O/U, or are you doing two different chokes on one hunt like clay shooters do?

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2023, 05:17:47 PM »
I've seen more auto's fail than pumps while in the field hunting. If you get a pump you could possibly save enough to buy a turkey hunt in some other state if your into that. I don't like some of the cheaper auto's as I've seen more problems out of them.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 06:50:26 PM »
I have used both but really prefer semi auto's. I have 4 dedicated turkey semi's and they have been flawless and soft on the shoulder.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 08:09:32 PM »
I own and use both pump and semi-auto.  Really no preference, both designs work well.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 09:24:47 PM »
Obviously you buy both and then flip a coin in the morning to see which one you take out for the day.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline Teamblue

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 06:14:22 AM »
Obviously you buy both and then flip a coin in the morning to see which one you take out for the day.

This. Haha. Or get 6 and roll the dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 07:33:32 AM »
I prefer a gas powered semi over a pump for recoil reduction, but prefer an O/U to either for the choice of chokes.

Do you mean that there is a better selection of turkey chokes available for an O/U, or are you doing two different chokes on one hunt like clay shooters do?

I mean the ability to use two different chokes to optimize pattern performance at all ranges. Don't have to worry about the pattern being too tight at 20, etc.

Offline Jordan121787

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »

I mean the ability to use two different chokes to optimize pattern performance at all ranges. Don't have to worry about the pattern being too tight at 20, etc.

This is my reasoning for my O/U as well. Also, your over all length is shorter since there is no action. the last thing I want to happen when I’m out of state on a turkey hunt is the infamous “click” due to my action not being seated all the way. An O/U, single shot, or pump takes this out of the equation. Not really worried about how soft it shoots because in the heat of the moment you’re not going to even feel it   

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 01:32:37 PM »
I have multiple guns in both actions and then some. Love my semis but let me put it this way, I always have a backup gun in the truck anytime I take a semi. If I’m limited to one gun, it’s wet weather, muddy, or really brushy, I’m grabbing something else every time.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »

This. Haha. Or get 6 and roll the dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing is I did something like that last year lol.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 07:50:51 PM »
I have 3 dedicated Turkey Guns and a backup, all are semi autos the 3 all have the same scope on them, love this setup for accurcy and speed of shooting, I get a fair number of opportunities to shoot "Doubles" and this just makes it easier, beyond that the backup just has "open" sights as it's used as my goose/duck gun too, 2nd rifled bbl for it for deer/slug gun with same scope as others.

Remington 11-87 12ga Custom Built Turkey Gun
Remington 11-87 12ga SPST Gun
Franchi Affinity 3 20ga Compact 

Benelli HK Super Black Eagle 12ga (Back-up)

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 12:04:13 PM »
Pump in 12 g, semi w/20g

Offline MossyOak92

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »
I prefer an auto myself.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »
I have both pumps and auto and as you get older you will appreciate the auto a lot more, so for your long turn investment get the auto ...IMO