OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best Chalk  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Ches.

Best Chalk
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:14:16 PM »
Ok, I have tried red chalk, blue half round carpenters chalk, and an off white / tan color chalk. I don't see a big difference. Is there really one that is better?

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Best Chalk
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 12:25:38 AM »
Has to be wax free. I have used all colors as well. Primos sells a small pack of the red chalk that is pretty good.  Woodhaven sells some that is white, I think it is referred to as being rain chalk. The best one that I have used is called railroad chalk. But I can't find it anywhere.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 10:22:45 AM »
All chalk is not the same, Woodhaven doesn't make the rain chalk, rain chalk is fine, but it's not what i prefer.... The old sphere red brick chalk is about as pure a chalk as you can get. It's a more powder base, the closest thing to red brick is Primos red 3 small pieces in a plastic case. All chalks have little difference in texture and grit. The old Perfection in sphere shape in brown, is some of the best you could buy alone with the red brick, that Perfection brown has a little less powder base. White / blue are all similar but a tad different in my opinion. Dave Halloran sells a blue sphere chalk that is some of the best for blue chalk. Woodhaven sells a good white chalk. The old red brick chalk was a number 77701 Dixon chalk. Chalks with different content / powder bases cause boxes to run at different levels for tone / sound and rasp. Some people say i just use chalk and that's fine, but different ingredient makeup of chalk makes boxes run differently in how they cause friction between the box lid and rails. All of this affects the sound of a box.. You can mix chalk on the lid of a box, like red and little white and see the differences in tones and sounds.  I personally look for the chalk i'm wanting to use to achieve the sound i'm wanting to create from the lid to rails.  Now again, most good boxes don't need a lot of chalk to run, it all depends on the quality of the box and some combos just run extremely well..  Do a search on the forum and you can read opinions about chalk etc...

Offline RH1

• Red Hills Turkey Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 01:52:07 PM »
All chalk is not the same, Woodhaven doesn't make the rain chalk, rain chalk is fine, but it's not what i prefer.... The old sphere red brick chalk is about as pure a chalk as you can get. It's a more powder base, the closest thing to red brick is Primos red 3 small pieces in a plastic case. All chalks have little difference in texture and grit. The old Perfection in sphere shape in brown, is some of the best you could buy alone with the red brick, that Perfection brown has a little less powder base. White / blue are all similar but a tad different in my opinion. Dave Halloran sells a blue sphere chalk that is some of the best for blue chalk. Woodhaven sells a good white chalk. The old red brick chalk was a number 77701 Dixon chalk. Chalks with different content / powder bases cause boxes to run at different levels for tone / sound and rasp. Some people say i just use chalk and that's fine, but different ingredient makeup of chalk makes boxes run differently in how they cause friction between the box lid and rails. All of this affects the sound of a box.. You can mix chalk on the lid of a box, like red and little white and see the differences in tones and sounds.  I personally look for the chalk i'm wanting to use to achieve the sound i'm wanting to create from the lid to rails.  Now again, most good boxes don't need a lot of chalk to run, it all depends on the quality of the box and some combos just run extremely well..  Do a search on the forum and you can read opinions about chalk etc...
My gosh....turkey hunting can be made to be so complicated. :)
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 02:40:59 PM »
My gosh....turkey hunting can be made to be so complicated. :)
Look at it this way, you now know more than you did ... LOL...

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 03:18:10 PM »
 He knows boxes, the best of advice.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 04:38:07 PM »
Ok, just so many options and no clear winner as far as I read it. I clean my paddle, put new chalk on the tune if it is not sounding right to my ear. Maybe that's the wrong approach but the one I have been using. I was using the Primos Red chalk, but just got a 6 pack of the half moon blue carpenters chalk. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 06:16:31 PM »
Ok, just so many options and no clear winner as far as I read it. I clean my paddle, put new chalk on the tune if it is not sounding right to my ear. Maybe that's the wrong approach but the one I have been using. I was using the Primos Red chalk, but just got a 6 pack of the half moon blue carpenters chalk. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.

Where did you get the blue chalk from?

Offline RH1

• Red Hills Turkey Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 08:46:00 PM »
. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.
Confidence kills turkeys....not chalk colors. I'm with you.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 09:18:17 PM »
 :TooFunny:  :popcorn:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 09:34:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to get some of the red railroad chalk from a member here and on most of my calls you can sure tell the difference. I have two that just seem to work better with blue chalk ( a tongue call from Scott Hembrook and a scratch box from  Lee Bowles) and the call I got from Ralph Snodgrass prefers white chalk. That red railroad chalk just seems to grip better and give a better sound to me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline spurs2bgobblin

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 09:50:16 PM »
Red railroad for me. It’s like a lot of things, just a preference, I reckon it just does it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 10:33:58 PM »
I can tell you for a fact that different color chalk changes the sound of a call. 100 percent. May not be night and day but does have subtle changes. I use railroad chalk. I like the results. Heck , I even have a box call that sounds phenomenal with absolutely no chalk. You put any kind of chalk on it and it sounds good but not awesome. Wipe the chalk off and it’s insane.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 10:35:53 PM »
By the way, I just recently heard of green railroad chalk, I know nothing of it though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."