OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: To Wash Cape or Not To Wash?  (Read 829 times)

Offline FLGobstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
To Wash Cape or Not To Wash?
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:34:54 AM »
I have a cape, tail, beard, spurs and nice black wings off osceola my daughter shot last week during youth season. Since it's here last youth season in FL and was such a memorable hunt I'm wanting to do the cape display with wings and fan.

I do NOT have access to a tumbler. Should I still deflesh and wash in Dawn then let it drip dry and use light air compressor on feathers? I have several I've never washed that look ok, but I want this one to be a good as possible for her considering the condition of the bird.

How would you do it if you have minimal access to tools a pro taxi would use but want the best DIY you can get?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:02:13 AM by FLGobstopper »

Offline FLGobstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: To Wash Cape or Not To Wash?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 10:10:14 AM »
Pics of what I’m working with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 09:09:15 AM »
Yes, remove all of the meat and fat from the skin, wash thoroughly with Dawn (or equivalent, mild soap) and water, and rinse thoroughly.  At this point, you will look at it and think that it will never come out looking good  :D  (you will be wrong).

Let the cape drip-dry and then take a hair dryer and blow the entire cape until all of the feathers are totally dry (you can use the heat setting on the dryer, just be careful not to overheat the skin).  If you have cleaned and washed the cape properly, it will come out looking nice and shiny.  Apply borax to the "skin side" to preserve.

Stretch the cape to the form you want it to take and pin to cardboard or some surface you can tack it to.  Here is the key to a beautiful cape mount:  Make sure you take the time to position all of the feathers where they are supposed to be right away and continue to do so as the skin is drying (every feather has a specific location and position).  I have found the easiest way to do this is with a couple of pairs of tweezers.  (During the washing and drying process, the feathers will get out of their proper position and taking the time to get them "right" will make all the difference in the world as to how the mount turns out looking).   :icon_thumright:

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »
A little dawn but I like to throw a tide pod in the sink after the cape is in and bust it with my hands..Seems to me it helps put the end of the feathers back together..You will be amazed at the amount of dirt that will come out.

No experience with doing wings.

Offline FLGobstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
Yes, remove all of the meat and fat from the skin, wash thoroughly with Dawn (or equivalent, mild soap) and water, and rinse thoroughly.  At this point, you will look at it and think that it will never come out looking good  :D  (you will be wrong).

Let the cape drip-dry and then take a hair dryer and blow the entire cape until all of the feathers are totally dry (you can use the heat setting on the dryer, just be careful not to overheat the skin).  If you have cleaned and washed the cape properly, it will come out looking nice and shiny.  Apply borax to the "skin side" to preserve.

Stretch the cape to the form you want it to take and pin to cardboard or some surface you can tack it to.  Here is the key to a beautiful cape mount:  Make sure you take the time to position all of the feathers where they are supposed to be right away and continue to do so as the skin is drying (every feather has a specific location and position).  I have found the easiest way to do this is with a couple of pairs of tweezers.  (During the washing and drying process, the feathers will get out of their proper position and taking the time to get them "right" will make all the difference in the world as to how the mount turns out looking).   :icon_thumright:

Thank you for the thorough response, it's very helpful and appreciated. My daughter is working on it with me and she's very creative, artsy, has a vision for it and now excited about doing it right.

Offline FLGobstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
A little dawn but I like to throw a tide pod in the sink after the cape is in and bust it with my hands..Seems to me it helps put the end of the feathers back together..You will be amazed at the amount of dirt that will come out.

No experience with doing wings.

Good idea with the Tide pod. Thank you!

Offline Taxidermist58

• Rob's Taxidermy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 08:44:37 AM »
I have been a taxidermist for 31 years. This is how I do it: Cut the underside of the wings and remove all ( as best as you can ) of the meat from the bones. Then I drill a 3/16" hole in each end of the exposed bones. I use an air compressor with a nozzle type tip and place the end in one of the holes and a paper towel over the other end. Blow high pressure air through the bone and catch the marrow in the towel. This removes most of the marrow. I do this prior to washing. Then I wash in Dawn soap, rinse and place in a degreaser ( lantern fuel from Walmart will work-be careful though ). I soak the wings, cape and tail in this for about 15 minutes. Take out and towel dry, then use low to medium volume air to dry. Cover the skin side in Borax, I put clay and borax in the wing pockets where you removed the marrow, and pose the feather in place.