OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Herter’s TSS

Started by quackaddict, March 05, 2023, 12:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

Has anyone shot any Herter's loads yet? Thinking of picking up some of the 12ga loads just for a soft shooting load when I want to tote the old 870. Only an 1 1/2oz load, but pretty sure it'd be pretty capable of killing a bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

b wilt

I have 2 boxes but havent shot them yet, I need to get on that.

Tca126

Watched some YouTube vids of guys patterning with them. They are putting out solid patterns at a decent price point by todays standards.

bbcoach

Here's one video with 1 1/2 oz #9's.  Nice pattern but needs some adjustment.  Definitely a strong pattern.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIkfTd3S0rM

quackaddict

I shot mine today. Laserd 40 yards, 24" 870 with a Kick's .655. I didn't count pellets and I need to adjust my sights, but they'll for sure smash a turkey's head and won't wreck your shoulder. I ordered a few more boxes to keep on my ammo shelf after shooting this morning

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

PoolGobbler

Online patterning videos make it look like a great load

bbcoach

.655 choke maybe overchoked in those 870's.  Mine prefers a choke in the .665 range.

quackaddict

Quote from: bbcoach on March 12, 2023, 02:37:04 PM
.655 choke maybe overchoked in those 870's.  Mine prefers a choke in the .665 range.
It doesn't seem to be. I've got zero complaints with this pattern at 40 yards. I don't want a softball at 40, and a gobbler isn't walking away from this.

bbcoach

Quote from: quackaddict on March 12, 2023, 04:29:34 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 12, 2023, 02:37:04 PM
It doesn't seem to be. I've got zero complaints with this pattern at 40 yards. I don't want a softball at 40, and a gobbler isn't walking away from this.

My point exactly.  The .665 would open it up a little more, especially at shorter distances plus the POA/POI is wide right and needs correcting.

quackaddict

Yea, I ran out of time to adjust and shoot anymore that day. Counted 10 rings this morning and got 169, 170, and 178. Should have an afternoon to bump that POI over a touch more this week. I doubt I'll try another choke in this gun with those numbers though. That's going to make a pretty dead bird. The other two chokes I have are an old jellyhead and a comp-n-choke from the late 90s.

bbcoach

That pattern will definitely hunt, once you get it centered.

quackaddict

Think she's good to go now. 209 in the 10".

mountainhunter1

Nothing at all wrong with that - it will kill turkeys all day long.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Dazzler

How much are they charging for those?

krm944

The 410 is $45 the 12&20 are $50

My local bass pro (historically not the best for ammo as I live on the ocean) has a TON of Herter's TSS. My best guess is they have produced a ton of this ammo to compete in the TSS market.