turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Practical value in shorter barrel lengths

Started by SDK, March 05, 2023, 12:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

The longer barrel will often hang up in lower hanging branches when slung.  you have to be a little careful when hunting with a short barrel when hunting with another as it is easily pointed at an unintentional target, i.e., your partner.  Now for the why.

Around 1980 I made an afternoon hunt.  I expected the gobbler to circle around to the open terrain in front of me.  Big mistake.  He came from behind strutting and drumming.  I was forced to make a quick move as he came into my peripheral vision ten steps to my right.  My barrel caught a vine and I was unable to make the shot.  "Never again" I said to myself.  I had my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 20 inches and install Briley choke tubes.  I never looked back.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

paboxcall

Is a short barrel necessary? No. Nothing wrong with a 28" barrel.

Some years back I bought a Winchester 1300 pump that came in two versions - one was 22" barrel and the other was 18.5" barrel. I ordered the 22" barrel.

Once I had it, took it to the woods, couldn't stop thinking about that shorter barrel version. Hard to beat a short barrel gun when crawling around the big woods. Lighter weight, easy to swing in those odd set ups.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mudhen

I stick with the longer barrels for my 4 dedicated turkey guns...covers all the terrains I hunt...hated the short barreled guns I've owner, worst was a 24" Nova pump...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Teamblue

You'll be fine starting out with 28" bbl.  I bet alot of people on here started out that way myself included.  When you get addicted you may feel the need to "upgrade".  Im all for buying new guns.  Clip on sights that go on the rib are a great cheap upgrade for a bead sight gun to make sure you are lined up in the heat of the moment.  Hope you have a great season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

For me the value in a dedicated turkey setup is less about barrel length and more about sights. I'd assume your waterfowl guns are beads, which is fine and will get the job done, but my argument will always be you don't aim to wingshoot but you do aim on turkeys. Lots of times they'll get you fouled up to where you're having to shoot from an unnatural position. Sights in that moment are critical. When they're up super close and you're running a tightly constricted choke throwing a baseball at 15yds, sights are critical. So for me the advantages of a turkey gun are two fold in that you want sights on the gun and you can choose a shorter barrel length for maneuverability. One thing you might look into is picking up a second barrel for the gun you have. You could choose a shorter barrel and throw a Meadow Creek rib mount and reflex on it and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV266

:TooFunny:

Quote from: SDK on March 06, 2023, 12:52:20 PM
Quote from: PV266 on March 06, 2023, 11:10:57 AM
You should definitely show your wife...and tell her it was my idea.  BTW my name is John Smith if she wants to know lol

A fake name won't save you if my wife decides your time is up  :D

SDK

Thank you for the continued replies.

Thinking a set of clip on sights for one gun to try out this spring season might be smart. Then maybe pick up one short barrel turkey gun for the fall season. My son and I can share them and do a head-to-head comparison to see what we both prefer....

WildTigerTrout

My dedicated turkey gun barrels run the full gamut from 20 inch to 26 inches in length. I have one 20 inch, three 24 inch and two 26 inch.  24 inch is my favorite.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jhoward11

It's all in how you hunt. I used a Benelli 28" for years. It was a pain at times, because my hunting style was run and gun, crawling over logs, through thicker stuff. I found the Mossberg 835 and never looked back. Shorter barrel is so much easier to carry around. Heck, just walking downstairs with it on my shoulder, and it doesn't hit the ceiling. Walking under limbs. Generally, just easier in the woods. Nothing against the Benelli, it was a killing gun. Now I have 3 Turkey guns and all have shorter barrels. Use whatever you feel comfortable with.