OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Practical value in shorter barrel lengths

Started by SDK, March 05, 2023, 12:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDK

I'm an experienced deer and bird hunter just getting into turkeys. I'm questioning the value proposition for my particular case in getting a dedicated turkey gun.

I hunt with my teenage son. We have a pair of Mossberg Waterfowl shotguns. One each 930 and 935. They both have tip to tip camo patterns and they are our "go to" hunting shotguns. Other than having 28" barrels they are both great guns that in theory are well suited to Turkey hunting. I understand that a shorter barrel is "more maneuverable", but questioning how much actual, real world difference it makes in the turkey woods.

Has anyone else out there started or stayed with a longer barrel, or switched from one to the other? Was it like a revelation, or "why did I waste the money"?

I love hunting with my son, but it does require buying two of everything lol. I would be very interested in hearing any and all opinions on the subject. The 940 Pro Turkey is calling my name but trying to not spend needlessly.

g8rvet

You definitely do not NEED it.  My 870 had a 26" barrel and I have killed a mess of birds with it.  With that being said, I love my little Weatherby SA-459 20 gauge as it is so small and easy to hold up for those slow working birds.  Trying a side by side 20 this year, 28" barrel but a short gun overall.  There are advantages for the shorter barrels, but I did not notice much before I had them. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sasquatch1

Most my life I used 28" barrel as I'm a duck hunter too.

However once tss came along and I used a youth model 20ga one day, I swore I'd always stay with a shortie.

The benefits are huge if you navigating thick areas (When you duck below branches your barrel don't snag.) Also, while set up you're less likely to have something in the way of swinging on a bird

However if money was a concern or what not, I'd stay 28" and have no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BandedSpur

I grew up hunting with 26" barreled 1100s and then 1187s. Then I switched to 28" barreled O/Us, which are about 1/2" shorter overall than the 26" barreled autoloaders. I have never wished for a shorter barreled gun nor do I think I will ever own one. If I am going through thick places, the gun is off my shoulder and in my hand. I do use a sling for long distance walking in open terrain. I grouse hunted for 30 years in WNC in the thickest places imaginable with 28" barreled O/Us and never wished for a shorter gun. Weight is much more important to me than having a short barrel. I would much rather carry a 6 pound O/U with 28" barrels than an 8 pound autoloader with an 18.5" barrel, YMMV.

PV266

Short barrels are fairly convenient if you hunt out of a blind or thick areas.  Needed, no but it is convenient.  I personally like having dedicated guns.  Short barreled pumps are generally inexpensive, especially used and for the amount of shooting you do with a turkey gun it may be an option. 

Tom007

What I've found, a shorter barrel, good patterning shotgun is ideal for Turkey hunting in most situations.....
"Solo hunter"

SDK

Thank you for all the suggestions. Very helpful!

With a teenage hunting buddy, I do tend to use blinds when I can, and we do get a fair amount of rough and bramble/branch filled terrain here.

You know, coming from a waterfowl background, I hadn't even considered pumps, but maybe I should. It's not like I am going to get the opportunity to knock down three turkeys, even with a semi.....

I may have to look into this some more. I can just show this page to my wife and blame you guys.  :D

the Ward

I think a lot of it boils down to personal preference, terrain, and your style of hunting.
If your doing a lot of walking, especially in brushy, more densely wooded areas, or in a tightly
confined blind, a shorter barrels benefit will become immediately apparent. If you are hunting
more open country, along field edges, then a longer barrel works fine, and actually better if you
are using only bead or iron sights due to the longer sight radius. I think if you are getting a new
gun expressly for turkey hunting, I would lean toward a barrel on the shorter end of the spectrum,
also that the gun be drilled and tapped for the option of adding a red dot or scope, and pick a weight
range your comfortable with. Like I said, it's more of a personal thing, pick a gun you love, and you
will love hunting with it.Good luck this season!

Glades

In my opinion, if you are going to have a 1 gun to do it all, I would get a 26" barrel with a full length stock. That will serve you good for just about everything.

But, if you are building a dedicated turkey gun to serve just that purpose, a shorter barrel and shorter stock are much better. To me, the short stock is much more important than the short barrel.

Vintage

Save your money and hunt with what you have. In a few years make the decision whether you want a shorter barrel.

fmf

Switching to shorter barrel guns was one of the best things I've ever done. I own 2 short barreled guns, a 12 and a 20 both with 18.5 inch barrels and they are my only guns that I want to hunt with.  Every now and then I will have a setup where even a 24" barrel wouldn't clear a tree or something in front of me so they do help there, but the real value is that the barrel doesn't get caught on everything that I walk under.  When I'm moving, my gun is cross body slung nearly 100% of the time and nothing gets on my nerves more than ducking under something only for the barrel to grab it.  Don't get me started on vines. 

SDK

Understood all!

This conversation is semi theoretical at this point. We have both toe 930 and 935 patterned and ready for the April 24 spring opener. I'm not changing anything tomorrow.

My son and I normally kill the cold deep winter months rabbit hunting and building/modifying guns, so this would be a next winter project.

Red dots and optics are a whole different can of worms for me. I don't hate the idea of putting a sight on a shotgun, but the longtime hunter in me (55YO) doesn't love it either. My eyes are still holding out well enough to take clays and flying birds with a bead, but I know that won't last forever...

Maybe I look into something that will take an optic eventually. Really helpful advice here from all of you....

PV266

You should definitely show your wife...and tell her it was my idea.  BTW my name is John Smith if she wants to know lol

Quote from: SDK on March 06, 2023, 08:35:02 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions. Very helpful!

With a teenage hunting buddy, I do tend to use blinds when I can, and we do get a fair amount of rough and bramble/branch filled terrain here.

You know, coming from a waterfowl background, I hadn't even considered pumps, but maybe I should. It's not like I am going to get the opportunity to knock down three turkeys, even with a semi.....

I may have to look into this some more. I can just show this page to my wife and blame you guys.  :D

SDK

Quote from: PV266 on March 06, 2023, 11:10:57 AM
You should definitely show your wife...and tell her it was my idea.  BTW my name is John Smith if she wants to know lol

A fake name won't save you if my wife decides your time is up  :D

g8rvet

I rigged up a youth model 870 20 gauge with a Trulock choke and Federal HW #7.  Shooting 169 in the 10" at 40 yards. Nice even patterns.  Rigged it for my daughter and have never hunted it myself, but I would not hesitate to give it a go.  Put sights on it and it is poison.  Light as can be, short barrel and no kick.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.