OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New member here exploring push button calls  (Read 2058 times)

Offline SDK

New member here exploring push button calls
« on: March 04, 2023, 11:32:08 AM »
Mostly just wanted to say hello, but would love any feedback you want to give.

I have been hunting/fishing for a long time and just got into turkeys last spring. I have a 15 year old son who loves shooting and hunting with me. I’m digging into push button calls for a few reasons

Something easier for my son to manipulate.

My palate makes using mouth calls impossible

The hunting here in central MA is often in close quarters. Last spring I did not love having to crank a full sized box call because of the movement it required.

I currently have a Woodhaven Cherry Classic pot call and an Enticer Kee Kee call. I’ve been getting pretty good using the two in combination for Kee Kee runs, and I also have a gobbler tube.

I’m looking for a push button call to add to the above. My ultimate goal is to put the time in here to learn and eventually score one of Shannon’s calls to use and eventually hand down to my son. I do need something in the meantime that is hopefully not junk. I also have no issue spending time with calls, so a better quality one that I can get a range of sounds out of would be great.

I’m considering a Winky Hicks call, but would take any other recommendations. In the meantime, hoping to soak up some knowledge and enjoy the camaraderie.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 12:02:08 PM by SDK »

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: New member here exploring push button calls
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
I would recommend a Loftis Chatterbox.
Jim

Offline SDK

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 12:21:18 PM »
I would recommend a Loftis Chatterbox.

Thank you. I will check it out. Trying to make one smart purchase here so appreciate the recommendation.

Offline Thezorg

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 12:36:39 PM »
Shannon’s seems to be the best of the best. Highly sought after as you can see based on the threads. Trying to snag one like everyone else on here lol

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 12:41:37 PM »
I would suggest getting a Winky Hicks push pin call, it will give you 2 calls in one with being able to play the slate part of the call. It will come with a nice corncob striker and Winky will sign it for you and your son ... It's an awesome push pin and made from a 100 year old cedar post ... It's an heirloom call well worth the money...Sounds really good also... IMO ...

Offline SDK

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 01:05:30 PM »
Thank you all for the recommendations! They both seem like great options.

Offline SDK

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 01:07:15 PM »
Shannon’s seems to be the best of the best. Highly sought after as you can see based on the threads. Trying to snag one like everyone else on here lol

Agree lol. I will hopefully snag one of Shannon’s  eventually, but don’t like the odds of getting one anytime soon. Turkey opener here is April 24 so I need to get my hands on something with enough time to practice.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 04:43:17 PM »
Tim Bullock push pin!!! Gorgeous and sound like a turkey!! You definitely will not regret it.
Welcome aboard as well.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 05:07:30 PM »
All fantastic recommendations. What I can add is the following:

Knight & Hale made a “Witchy Woman” push pin. One of the best production pins ever made, but tough to come by. Lynch made 2 models of pushpins years ago, they have a great sound for sure.

Any of the Chatterbox pushpins, Loftis Chatterbox, Winky Hicks, Tim Bullock (mentioned above) and I’ll add Mike Lapp. Another readily available pushpin is made by Jim Shelley of Persimmon Hill Turkey Calls. Great value pushpin with a great sound.

And last but certainly not least is the Shannon Kelly (Old Gobbler) pushpin. There is no better sounding push-pin on the market. They are made one at a time, so they are more difficult to get. If you are lucky enough to get one, the only one that will be disappointed is the gobbler you carry out over your shoulder….good luck…
“Solo hunter”

Offline roosterstraw

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »
Readily available I personally go with loftis or hicks. If you don’t mind to wait a little then I’d go with bullock or Lapp.

Offline SDK

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 07:10:44 PM »
Thank you Tom. With all of these choices I feel better about getting another good call for this season. I’m going to a NWTF calling seminar tomorrow as well. Great opportunity on a dreary winter day.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 07:57:41 AM by SDK »

Offline Bringintheh2o

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 07:12:50 PM »
I just called Winky recently to get another of his push pins. The last one I had a gave it to a friend’s daughter. He wanted something easy for her to run.

Offline SDK

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 07:17:09 PM »
I just called Winky recently to get another of his push pins. The last one I had a gave it to a friend’s daughter. He wanted something easy for her to run.

I may call him next week and see if he can add a note from me to my son with the signature….

Offline Bringintheh2o

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 07:18:54 PM »
He definitely will put anything you want on your call. You should call him just to hear his stories.

Offline SDK

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 07:38:02 PM »
Readily available I personally go with loftis or hicks. If you don’t mind to wait a little then I’d go with bullock or Lapp.

Thanks. I will check these out as well….