OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What Roaring 20 are you using this year?

Started by cannonball, March 02, 2023, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I will be carrying a Mossberg 500 and it's my first year using a 20 gauge for Turkey. I've had this gun in my safe for years after buying it new and it's not even been fired yet. I'll put some pictures below that I just took but it's not going to look like that for long. I've ordered a few things that should be here by next week. It's getting a Choate pistol grip stock, Indian Creek .555 choke, picatinny rail mount and either a Vortex Spitfire prism scope or a Sightron reflex sight. I also have two sheets of vinyl wrap coming from Mossy Oak. I ordered Bottomland and Greenleaf since I couldn't decide which one would look better. I have a couple boxes of Verdict TSS #9's on the way as well. I'd like to know what my teammates will be using, pictures would be great if you have them and don't mind posting.

FullChoke

My shootin' iron started out life as a standard 20 gauge Remington 870 Express that I won at an NWTF banquet. After seeing patterning results that other folks were putting up, I decided to make her into a dedicated turkey gun. I raised the comb on the stock, gave her a custom 3D camo outfit, drilled, tapped and mounted a picatinny rail with a red dot sight and a handwoven shoulder strap on her. She has had her bore polished and is setup with a Remington Super Full choke and will be loaded fer bear with #9 TSS shells, handloaded by our own teammate 3seasons this year.

One shot and maybe one flop. That's the way the Roaring 20's do it.  :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

That camo has to be effective. It's like the gun has it's own gillie suit.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: FullChoke on March 02, 2023, 06:50:31 PM
My shootin' iron started out life as a standard 20 gauge Remington 870 Express that I won at an NWTF banquet. After seeing patterning results that other folks were putting up, I decided to make her into a dedicated turkey gun. I raised the comb on the stock, gave her a custom 3D camo outfit, drilled, tapped and mounted a picatinny rail with a red dot sight and a handwoven shoulder strap on her. She has had her bore polished and is setup with a Remington Super Full choke and will be loaded fer bear with #9 TSS shells, handloaded by our own teammate 3seasons this year.

One shot and maybe one flop. That's the way the Roaring 20's do it.  :icon_thumright:

FullChoke
This is the first "3D camo" I've seen in my life. That is insane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cannonball

Change of plans...I received my Choate pistol grip stock today from Midway and the fit was horrible. There was at least a 1/4 inch gap between the pistol grip section and the lower part of the receiver. I removed the trigger housing to see if that was preventing it from fitting any more flush. I didn't think it would make any difference and it didn't. There was also about 1/8 inch of the stock protruding around the entire rear of the receiver where it attaches, it looked bad. So I'm returning it along with the other miscellaneous items I bought except for the vinyl wraps that aren't returnable. I decided to go another route completely and will be picking up my new turkey gun tomorrow. I'll put up some pics after I get home with it. And don't worry, it's a 20 gauge... :fud:

GuideGun

Here is my Franchi Affinity 3 Elite. This is actually the waterfowl elite model. I did a trigger job on it myself. Scalarworks Sync mount and Trijicon RMR. I am shooting Apex GT20 9s out of it. I actually just had Comp-N-Choke cut the barrel down to 21" and threaded for Invector. I want to try an Indian Creek .562" next.

Here is pattern from the Franchi with IC .555" at 40 yards with the GT20 9s. Okay overall, I think it's little overcooked. Hence why I want to try a .562 next. 

Here is the beginnings of the current project that hopefully will be completed this month...
Matt

reflexl

Using Aqua fresh. I was using Crest but Walmart had a sale.

cannonball

The new gun is here, 20 gauge Tristar Viper G2 Turkey with a Sightron reflex sight. I've got a .555 Indian Creek choke coming and will pattern it soon.

FullChoke

CB,
Brother, you are not fooling around! Great gun choice.   :z-guntootsmiley:

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cannonball

I found the extra stock spacer for my Mossberg Super Bantam and decided to go ahead with the project. I'll likely use the Tristar at first but hope to get my Tennessee two bird limit with both 20's. I've got 2 boxes of Verdict TSS 9's here and three boxes of the Apex Mossy Oak Greenleaf 9's over 10's TSS blends on the way.

MossyOak92

Good looking rigs. I'll probably hunt my NEF single shot 20 some days. With a vortex venom and sumtoy choke. Other days I'll take my franchi affinity 20 with venom and sumtoy also.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

krm944

Quote from: MossyOak92 on March 12, 2023, 11:27:34 PM
Good looking rigs. I'll probably hunt my H&R single shot 20 some days. With a vortex venom and sumtoy choke. Other days I'll take my franchi affinity 20 with venom and sumtoy also.

My first shotgun was a NEF 410 when I was 9 years old. My stepson killed his first Turkey with a NEF 20 gauge. They have a special place in my heart. I love the look of your NEF 20!!!

afhunter1

My Ultimate turkey slayer:

5.5# of 20ga turkey death machine

Franchi Instinct SL 24"

Cut stock off 1" and added limbsaver
Had triggers worked to 2.5-4lb
Sumtoy rib mount with Burris FF
Sumtoy and Carlson's chokes
Burnt bronze cerakote / bottomland dip

I don't like to dense of a pattern so my #9 TSS averages 225ish top barrel and 200 bottom but it has a lot of forgiveness.

cannonball

Lots of nice 20's in here. I've hunted with a NEF single shot but mine was a big 10. I think an O/U would be an ideal turkey gun, different chokes and even loads in the two barrels to cover different situations. My spare gun is coming along fine, I got it all wrapped except for the barrel. I'm going to give it a good polish with JB bore compound and follow that up with Flitz before I wrap it. I'll hopefully have it finished up this week. Progress pics below

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: MossyOak92 on March 12, 2023, 11:27:34 PM
Good looking rigs. I'll probably hunt my NEF single shot 20 some days. With a vortex venom and sumtoy choke. Other days I'll take my franchi affinity 20 with venom and sumtoy also.

Did you have someone thread it for chokes and red dot? What's that usually cost? I have one similar with a mod barrel, and unpainted.