OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season start?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Season start?
« on: March 01, 2023, 08:22:42 AM »
Looks like Muzzy and snoman4 are going to start this season off for us! Go get them guys!!  :turkey2:
lacire, you have been really quite this year? hope all is well. I think you are opening end of month?
I need to start scouting in a few weeks, how are everyone else's plans working out this year?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Season start?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 09:00:19 AM »
Finally heard my backyard Toms gobble this morning, been strutting but haven't heard a single gobble before this morning. Single hen came thru early, so flock might be finally breaking up, then rest of flock showed up. Lots of posturing and showing off for the ladies. Even saw the Jakes strut after the Toms had left. Last week my wife and I were outside when they showed up, we just stood still and she got to see and hear the dominate Tom strut and spit and drum. She actually heard the drumming before I did.

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »
Have not heard any birds fire off yet but buds are starting to come out here so it wont be long.

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 08:34:41 PM »
The flock left for spring stomping grounds, 2 Toms and 3 Jakes are still hanging around. Moved cameras around trying for better pictures.

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 08:38:15 PM »
Late afternoon sun lights these Toms up!

Offline austinc

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 09:22:50 PM »
I went and put ears on one last weekend, was gonna go again next weekend but weather looks terrible for gobbling.  Oh well, my season doesn't start til mid april so I got some time.

Offline notsure

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 10:33:32 PM »
My WI season doesn't start until May 3rd. MN's still up in the air.

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 07:48:36 AM »
Muzzy and snoman open this weekend!?!

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 09:59:08 AM »

Good news is that we do open the season tomorrow, bad news is a cold front is coming in tonight. Calls for 90% rain for most of the day with thunder storms early.
Looks like I may have to hunker down in a pop up blind. Rain is suppose to clear Sunday, but temps will be about 15 to 20 degrees lower.  We've got some good birds on camera so fingers crossed.
Wish us luck, and good luck to anyone else that might be getting started.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:51:47 AM by Muzzy61 »

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 11:46:04 AM »
No turkey, or for that matter, any game animal is worth taking a chance of a lightning strike. They will be there tomorrow! Good luck, please keep us updated to how the hunt goes, good or bad, hunting thru you guys till April 24. Have a safe and successful hunt!!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 05:14:58 PM »
No turkey, or for that matter, any game animal is worth taking a chance of a lightning strike. They will be there tomorrow! Good luck, please keep us updated to how the hunt goes, good or bad, hunting thru you guys till April 24. Have a safe and successful hunt!!

Well said, sadly nothing to make a joke about here  :TooFunny:
Come on Jiffy, give us something to work with

Online lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »

Well said, sadly nothing to make a joke about here  :TooFunny:
Come on Jiffy, give us something to work with

cow is correct, lightning is nothing to fool with…… if you live near any of the G.O.A.T.S team members maybe you could set up a hunt with them and have them carry your gun.  :whip2:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:17:07 PM by lacire »

Offline snoman4

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 10:57:43 PM »

Good news is that we do open the season tomorrow, bad news is a cold front is coming in tonight. Calls for 90% rain for most of the day with thunder storms early.
Looks like I may have to hunker down in a pop up blind. Rain is suppose to clear Sunday, but temps will be about 15 to 20 degrees lower.  We've got some good birds on camera so fingers crossed.
Wish us luck, and good luck to anyone else that might be getting started.
Rain is definitely going to be bad tomorrow.  I plan on hunkering down in a blind also unless it's popping lightning.  Muzzy61 is right, we have some great birds on camera this year.  Lots of jakes, so it should be great next year too.  Hopefully its not flooding at 6:00 AM so we can get to the blind without getting soaked.

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »
Youth week starts April 1st.  Then regular season is April 8th.  I only have 2 kids left for the youth hunt.   Went out this morning to scout one of our spots and not a peep.  A little discouraging.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 04:35:15 PM »
Youth week starts April 1st.  Then regular season is April 8th.  I only have 2 kids left for the youth hunt.   Went out this morning to scout one of our spots and not a peep.  A little discouraging.

The turkeys in the frozen food section are usually on the quiet side