OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gauge & Sight Preferences

Started by Lone Star Eastern, February 28, 2023, 03:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

I've been looking at the Stevens 301's and was hoping to get some of your opinions.

I'm used to sub-gauges, so either want 20 or 410, but I like the idea of the 410 being even lighter since I tend to do a lot of walking. Even with TSS, does anyone still think a 20 is more appropriate for turkeys?

I've never used any sort of optics other than simple beads, but since the 301 comes with a rail, it's sparked the idea for me. What do y'all prefer, red dot, bead, or fiber optic? The idea of adding a red dot that cost more than the gun itself doesn't sit well for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocHolliday

Get a 28. Light but powerful. I'm running 1-5/8 oz from the little 28. My doubles weigh a little over 5.5

runngun

28 gauge and don't look back!!! They're awesome,  lightweight, low recoil, and a 1.5 ounces of 9s or 9.5 will absolutely be THOR'S HAMMER!!!!

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jhoward11

I use a Mossberg SA-20 with a Burris FF3. Mainly for my wife, but I have used it, and it's a great set up. It's a little expensive, but not if you slap 2 other cheaper red dots on it and the dot starts jumping around after shooting. Just saying,  Always was a fiberoptic guy forever, but as we get older that dot works a lot better. 28g wouldn't be a bad choice either with the TSS.

SumToy

Now in most cases the 41,28 and 20 will not be much difference in weight.   Recoil is lest in the 20 and 410.   20 and 28 will be alot better as you will have alot more shot in a 10 inch kill zone.     To me the 20 is the best all around turkey gun.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

beagler

My only question is hat is the availability and choices of shells in 28ga?
Never Misses

krm944

28 gauge is surprisingly readily available from the small niche/custom ammo makers like FoxTrot Ammo, Viper Ammunition, etc.

28 gauge hasn't been picked up by Federal/Remington/Herter's for TSS offerings.

I am new to the 28 gauge and LOVE it! I wish they had an inexpensive, lightweight 28 gauge single shot available.

bbcoach

Quote from: SumToy on March 01, 2023, 08:35:59 AM
Now in most cases the 41,28 and 20 will not be much difference in weight.   Recoil is lest in the 20 and 410.   20 and 28 will be alot better as you will have alot more shot in a 10 inch kill zone.     To me the 20 is the best all around turkey gun.
X2.  The 20 with TSS has many advantages.  Light, versatile, patterns great and has plenty of ammo and choke options online and over the counter.