Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could own turkey hunting land in any state, which would it be?

Started by Timmer, February 27, 2023, 08:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

New York. Love hunting the Mountainous Gobblers in the ridges of the big woods......
"Solo hunter"

Badger

jumiss

Southwest Mississippi...in the swampy, moss-laden oak flats along any river!

Mossyguy

Kentucky...the birds are huge and there isn't a pine tree in sight!

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 27, 2023, 11:18:15 AM
One that has LOT's of gobblers ... LOl... I just love hearing and calling them...Kill is secondary ... Owning hunting ground is not as easy as people think, do you live on the ground or at least have it within a short drive.. Taxes are due each year and if you have a cabin / house on the place you have to protect it from thieves etc... Trespasser's ... I own hunting land and no i don't live on it , but it is a short drive from my house... but i still have to deal with the occasional trespasser ...

I'm afraid that dream is in real jeopardy of being a thing of the past. I have a nice track of land that joins the National forest/WMA, so I'm not being sour grapes. But - the squatter issue is becoming such a problem across the nation that having a cabin or second dwelling that sits empty for weeks or months on end is going to be a tough thing to maintain.

I am blown away at the woke leadership across the country that is letting the squatter issue literally run people away from their own property. A lot of folks are losing places they own and have paid for with sweat and blood to folks who have not paid a dime for the place, and our government is letting it go on. If folks are not aware of what is going on and the unbelievable amount of litigation that takes six to eighteen months to get a squatter off their place, they need to read up and take a lot of extra precautions to make sure they are not the next victim. Twenty years ago, the police would show up and drag the guy away and throw the book at him for being in your house. Today, that same person has more rights than we do. It is really sad.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

bwall3220

The pine tree part cracked me up in the last comment, haha!
Pine trees = tough huntin....usually
I feel your pain brother!

dzsmith

Interesting question. Assuming the money and acres is unlimited as if this is a dream question. It would probably be my home of Mississippi. Throw a dose of reality into the equation and it would probably be more like north Missouri.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Callmn closer

Black Hills region and NW Nebraska would be my pick, beautiful turkey country.

crucible7

Alabama, Tennessee or Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darron

I own ground in Ohio about 90 min from me. Seems like the turkey pop can vary by county drastically....even in the SE Ohio sections. One county can be on a down year and go two counties over and it's birds everywhere. I am seeing that right now in our scouting adventures over 3-4 different counties.

I have dreamed of a cabin, but at least around where I am, if you don't live there it will get vandalized or worse. I go back and forth, but if I built something it would always be on my mind not living there full time.

turkeyfool

I feel like Merriams are a lot of fun each year, but there really is nothing like Easterns. So for me, it'd be in Eastern country. Northeast Iowa up by Dubuque potentially. That or Maine