OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: If you could own turkey hunting land in any state, which would it be?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline TurkeyReaper69

Re: If you could own turkey hunting land in any state, which would it be?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2023, 08:58:38 PM »
South of 70 in FL.

Offline husker

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »
Being a resident, I'm obviously partial, but western Nebraska is about as close to God's country as I've found.   Plenty of Turkeys, Whitetail and Mule Deer, Antelope, you name it.  And the best part is, not many people.  What's not to love?

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2023, 12:29:23 PM »
Pine Ridge area of Nebraska. A friend's family has a 3k acre ranch out that way, and I love the area.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 08:08:28 PM »
Mountains of TN, GA or SC. May just pull it off.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline cuttinAR

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 08:18:38 PM »
If you want hills and bang for your buck, Ozarks.  Manage the timber correctly along with fire and you’ll have as many turkeys as you can handle.

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2023, 04:58:28 PM »
Are you referring to the Driftless area? That's God's country. First time I  visited that area on a fishing trip my Wife called to check on me and I told her I don't want to come home, just saw a house for sale on top of a hill overlooking a stream and timber, get online and buy it, meet me up here.
She had a good laugh over that one.

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2023, 06:42:48 PM »
Hawaii obviously!

Crossed that state off the super slam list a couple springs ago and it was the best vacation I have ever had in my life!!!  I'd happily live in Kona for the rest of my life.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2023, 09:41:06 PM »
It would probably be where I'm at, right here in Iowa. While I enjoy turkey hunting, my favorite hunting is bowhunting deer. I use to hunt big racks, but anymore I'm happy with any buck 2 1/2 and older(preferably 3 1/2). If the property offered the chance at ducks & Pheasants it would be even better. I know there are places with higher turkey and deer populations, but to me the quality we have here out weigh the quantity of other places.

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 09:43:33 PM »
Iowa
Jim

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 12:10:44 PM »
I love the Ozarks too.
TN would be a spot to look, but recent season changes would be difficult to swallow.

I’d say it would have to do with a person’s current situation.
Meaning, if I lived up north, I’d want a place down south, and vice versa. This would extend my season. I’d also want a place close to a lake or other point of interest, like an hour drive close. Close to a state line where I could maybe join a lease or have public ground to extend my potential limit and season also.

Offline Timmer

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 12:10:46 PM »
Are you referring to the Driftless area? That's God's country. First time I  visited that area on a fishing trip my Wife called to check on me and I told her I don't want to come home, just saw a house for sale on top of a hill overlooking a stream and timber, get online and buy it, meet me up here.
She had a good laugh over that one.

Yes, that area is where I have been hunting, both in MN and WI for nearly 25 years.  It's where I always envisioned me owning a cabin, and potentially moving to after retirement.  It's beautiful.  I love the wooded hills.  The fishing is great too!  I am worried that I'm in love with my history and my dream more than the current reality, at least as far as the turkey hunting aspect goes.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:44:26 AM by Timmer »
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline YelpOnTheWay

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2023, 06:33:46 PM »
Tennessee

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2023, 07:42:46 PM »
My head is telling me Wisconsin for the purpose of subleasing out the deer hunting and then have all the turkey hunting for me and mine.

My heart is still a true ARKANSAS boy to the core.  I already own/have access to 160 acres, but I’d like to get the piece next to us that would get that up to around 300 acres.  We’d only have a couple of birds a year, but I’ve been hunting that land my entire life.  Killed my first turkey, deer and squirrel there.  Had high school parties out there and wrecked a few four wheelers.  That place has so many stories I could write an entire series.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline bwall3220

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2023, 09:17:39 AM »
My two cents for your situation would be another vote for Missouri. It's not terribly far from southern MN, plus they have some of the best turkey hunting in the country. Also Missouri has great deer hunting, fishing, a few million acres of public ground, every state that joins it has pretty good hunting also (except AR, haha) so you wouldn't be far from another adventure!
I'm from Arkansas and my family has land here, but we also have had land up in Missouri for over 20 years....home is home but everything is always better in Missouri!

Offline slicksbeagles1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 04:00:05 PM »
South Florida because hunts with outfitters have gotten to out of hand!