Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could own turkey hunting land in any state, which would it be?

Started by Timmer, February 27, 2023, 08:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

g8rvet

Depends. 

Do you want it as an investment to at least offset the yearly costs?  If so, I would think timber as well.  If you manage it correctly and time everything to be the right seasons, you can timber and burn land so as not to affect your turkey population in a bad way. 

Another way to offset costs is to buy land that has good turkey population and then, once you meet locals and get to know some folks, lease the deer rights to someone you trust. 

Are you going to live there?  Will need to be able to build so as to not affect your hunting. The shape of the land and how it is laid out will affect that as well.

I would like to do the same, but the wife wanted a townhouse at the beach.  She does not ask me for much, so we have a deer huntable place we live and a place an hour away at the beach.  I would have rather had turkey ground, but momma is happy. 

Landwatch is a good place to start.  Believe nothing on their descriptions, but if you learn the area you can find if a good turkey population exists.  Local real estate people often know zilch about hunting and will tell you anything you want to hear.  "Hunting?   sure, it will be great for that.  You like Cape Buffalo and Elephants?  Sure, it is loaded with them."  Places with less expensive land take longer to rise in value, but it depends on how much it is an investment and how much you just want to retain value. 

Good luck in your search.  That is half the fun.  Took me 5 years to find the perfect place at the beach. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Timmer

Quote from: Treerooster on February 27, 2023, 01:05:28 PM
I have done what you are proposing to do...sort of.

I have land and a cabin that is not in my state, actually its over 1000 miles from where I live. I've hunted there every fall for 36 years now. The hunting is still good, but things do change over the years.

Here are some things to think about in making such a purchase.

I am not a one-trick pony and that has benefited me quite a bit in my hunting at my cabin. When I first started hunting in that area there weren't even turkeys to hunt. That came along in the early 2000.s. I hunt grouse, woodcock, turkey, deer, ducks & geese, and squirrels. The point being if you purchase a place for just one type of hunting, it most likely will change over the years to where it ain't what it use to be. Me having many options of what interests me has made my cabin a good place to go to over the long haul. An abundance of public land has also made it a great place over the years. I'd get bored hunting the same place over & over during the many years I have been there. I don't fish much but that is another interest to think about if you are so inclined, or x-country skiing, or hiking, or whatever.

The hunting and habitat is much different than what's around where I live and that makes traveling to my cabin more interesting just in that sense. I love the woods around my cabin. The waterfowl hunting isn't as good as I have at home but it sure is different and I enjoy that.

I am retired now but was lucky in that I could take a few weeks off every fall to hunt where and when I wanted.

I started out camping, then put up a mobile home, and finally built a log cabin. Got 70 acres now too where I started with 5.

Cabin enjoyment.  :)

Great feedback.  I enjoy getting out in the woods for various reasons, and I enjoy working on the habitat as well.  Lots of hobbies to be had.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Timmer

Quote from: g8rvet on February 27, 2023, 02:07:02 PM
Depends. 

Do you want it as an investment to at least offset the yearly costs?  If so, I would think timber as well.  If you manage it correctly and time everything to be the right seasons, you can timber and burn land so as not to affect your turkey population in a bad way. 

Another way to offset costs is to buy land that has good turkey population and then, once you meet locals and get to know some folks, lease the deer rights to someone you trust. 

Are you going to live there?  Will need to be able to build so as to not affect your hunting. The shape of the land and how it is laid out will affect that as well.

I would like to do the same, but the wife wanted a townhouse at the beach.  She does not ask me for much, so we have a deer huntable place we live and a place an hour away at the beach.  I would have rather had turkey ground, but momma is happy. 

Landwatch is a good place to start.  Believe nothing on their descriptions, but if you learn the area you can find if a good turkey population exists.  Local real estate people often know zilch about hunting and will tell you anything you want to hear.  "Hunting?   sure, it will be great for that.  You like Cape Buffalo and Elephants?  Sure, it is loaded with them."  Places with less expensive land take longer to rise in value, but it depends on how much it is an investment and how much you just want to retain value. 

Good luck in your search.  That is half the fun.  Took me 5 years to find the perfect place at the beach.

All good thoughts.  We would probably put a camper and/or small shed on it.  I would consider the value of the timber if it was very responsibly harvested.  I'd also be open to some portion of it being crop area to lease out. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

davisd9

If not my home state of SC, then Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, or Kentucky.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Guskie

Check the availability of NR licenses. I would not want hunting property in a state that I could only draw every few years

Old Gobbler

Best Bang for buck ...you want a tract of private property that butts up to ..or is situated inside another very large tract with low or zero hunting pressure ...state reserve , private property etc...

Next best thing is a lease situation where you lease the property yourself , then sub lease all the deer hunting rights off (but not the turkey ) and keep that to yourself..that way the deer hunters pay for your property ...you have to get that in writing so they don't show up with puppy eyes on opening weekend ..

For me Florida...but everything has a dollar price on it and when the property is worth hundreds of millions of dollars ..you know the end result
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Sir-diealot

I think a mountainous state with Merriams turkey. I think Colorado or Montana I know they are native to Colorado and have been transplanted to Montana, but I have always dreamed of living in Montana so that would be a big draw. I have not looked at the numbers for them though so that could change. If a state held a decent population of another subspecies that could swing it one way or another.

Of course if Alaska had a good huntable population.........
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TJR

snoman4

Mine would probably be in central or northern Missouri.  That way I'm not far from Rios in Kansas and Oklahoma or Merriams in Nebraska or the Dakotas.  I love deer hunting too and there are great bucks there also.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

quavers59

400+ Acres in Turkey Rich Southren New Jersey. That would be a slice of Heaven.

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 27, 2023, 12:21:36 PM
Texas (for turkey hunting),...because it is close by, has limited public-land hunting, has Rio's, a long season, and a generous bag limit.  :icon_thumright:

Exactly my thoughts
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.