OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clear vs rasp on trumpets?  (Read 1344 times)

Online bwhana

Clear vs rasp on trumpets?
« on: February 26, 2023, 12:30:54 PM »
After a sight in / calling session with friends yesterday, it became obvious that my calling is more clear than my friends on the same calls. Stowe, Permar, wing-bone, cane yelpers…consistently clear for me, so I assume it is the way I draw air, and not the calls.

I have had success with mine, so the birds don’t mind, but any suggestions or input on getting more rasp is welcome!  I’m sure others would like to know too.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
Re: Clear vs rasp on trumpets?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »
For me, generally, if I loosen my lips I can usually get more rasp (saliva doesn’t hurt either) , but I’m sure it’s different for others and there are more factors at play.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline MossyOak92

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 01:25:11 PM »
I can get a little more rasp by drawing air but not dropping my jaw to do it. And just a little saliva pushed up to my lips.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
I agree with lip pressure and i also think it depends on how your lips, like that style of lip stop... I hope this makes sense..  I see some of the lip stop design that in a way pushes your lips back and some of your lips go into the lip stop, for me this affects play for each individual depending on the build of the lip stop design and who's trumpet your playing.. Now a season trumpet play , may say this doesn't matter ... this is just what i have observed in trying to learn to play... BY no means am i any kind of expert with these trumpets.. This is all just my opinion... with dealing with lip seals on different style lip stops ...

Online bwhana

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 01:47:03 PM »
Great suggestions so far.  I saw the Farmer front porch video where he mentioned keeping a piece of hard candy in while calling, but have not tried that yet.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 04:17:46 PM »
I think that any way you can learn to call benefits you as the caller. Anything you can do to learn air control is important. AIR CONTROL is EVERYTHING. Try paying the "Star Spangled Banner"....seriously.
It makes you control the air in many different ways.

I really wouldn't worry about rasp until you are very proficient with all your calls. I actually prefer a soft, fairly clear sound. That's the call for me that leads to turkey dinners, but, nothing wrong with throwing some rasp at them. My point is that I'd rather see you calling clear with great control, than raspy and mushy.

I call exactly the same way whether clear or raspy. I call with my tongue and throat. When calling clear, I draw air straight down the call and right down my throat. When calling raspy, I only move my lips back a slight bit so the air hits and vibrates my lower lip, and it does help to have in a chew or candy for a little saliva.

I just realized that this is very hard to descrbe, lol.

Offline RLAG

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 06:40:18 PM »
Ez, looks like I got you thinking about exactly how you move your mouth after talking about it at unicoi

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 11:50:16 AM »
For what it's worth, I've called and killed turkeys with a trumpet with using no "rasp" far more than with it.  Come to think of it, I've killed more with just clucking and whining on one then yelping.  The yelp and rasp is overrated.  Cluck a few times on one and he'll let you know if you need to sit, move, or go to waffle house. 

Offline outdoorguy3

• Life's About Havin' Fun!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 01:21:17 PM »
I think that any way you can learn to call benefits you as the caller. Anything you can do to learn air control is important. AIR CONTROL is EVERYTHING. Try paying the "Star Spangled Banner"....seriously.
It makes you control the air in many different ways.

I really wouldn't worry about rasp until you are very proficient with all your calls. I actually prefer a soft, fairly clear sound. That's the call for me that leads to turkey dinners, but, nothing wrong with throwing some rasp at them. My point is that I'd rather see you calling clear with great control, than raspy and mushy.

I call exactly the same way whether clear or raspy. I call with my tongue and throat. When calling clear, I draw air straight down the call and right down my throat. When calling raspy, I only move my lips back a slight bit so the air hits and vibrates my lower lip, and it does help to have in a chew or candy for a little saliva.

I just realized that this is very hard to descrbe, lol.
  Great help Mr. EZ  Thanks

Offline GregGwaltney

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 01:36:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I've called and killed turkeys with a trumpet with using no "rasp" far more than with it.  Come to think of it, I've killed more with just clucking and whining on one then yelping.  The yelp and rasp is overrated.  Cluck a few times on one and he'll let you know if you need to sit, move, or go to waffle house.
I agree......the trumpet can make sweet soft talk.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Offline hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 09:03:52 PM »

All three are solid choices
Shoot'em in the Face!

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 01:37:29 PM »
My Copenhagen keeps saliva flowing and is extremely helpful for rasp. Draw air through throat and don’t to the jaw dropping or kissing method.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online DFelico

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 09:48:48 AM »
I agree still a novice and was shown the kiss method first. Personally feel like I get more control and rasp just drawing air and not pulling too hard.