OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Friction call kits  (Read 754 times)

Offline Acvoorhees1989

Friction call kits
« on: February 25, 2023, 10:39:59 PM »
Do any call makers use pre made pots? In the start up of making and trying to sell some calls and have been shopping around for a good deal on a lathe. But would like to buy a few pre made pots before I drop the money on a good lathe.  Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase good quality pots to mess around with??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Friction call kits
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 11:43:50 PM »
I am going to say something and I know some people are going to say I am a jerk for saying it but if I found out the person I was buying a "custom made pot" from was using a pre-made pot I would never do business with them again.

I would also not BUY from a "maker" that used kits at all because I put kits together myself so why would I want to pay somebody to do what I am doing already? I would take one as a gift and have given kits that I have made as gifts myself.

Sorry but I am just being honest.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 08:14:14 PM »
Do any call makers use pre made pots? In the start up of making and trying to sell some calls and have been shopping around for a good deal on a lathe. But would like to buy a few pre made pots before I drop the money on a good lathe.  Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase good quality pots to mess around with??

I’ve built a couple of calls using https://www.ebay.com/str/crgamecalls pots. Come out quite nice with some sanding and finishing. Make great birthday gifts.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Offline Acvoorhees1989

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 08:22:12 PM »
[mention]Sir-diealot [/mention] I agree with you 100%. what i am looking for is just a good kit (if there are any) so I can mess around and just get a general idea of dimensions and the process of building them. I’m in the market for a lathe at the moment and would like to start turning pots. I know if I turn one it probably won’t sound anything like the kit but would like to be able to get a few different materials and run through them to see the differences in sound and workability

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 09:12:34 PM »

I’ve built a couple of calls using https://www.ebay.com/str/crgamecalls pots. Come out quite nice with some sanding and finishing. Make great birthday gifts.
Those are the kits I make.

This is the first one I made.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:22:01 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TScottW99

• Scouting for wildlife
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 05:38:16 AM »
Very nice. I just ordered my first laminate from him this past Friday.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer