Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Happy's hunt log

Started by Happy, April 14, 2023, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Great story and hunt, my heartrate went up 15% reading it.
Nice job using your Grand Dads gun and call, I know that is special for you, very cool.

You've had a great season sharing it with your son and friend, nicely done.

I like your camo, that pattern is still a good one once the brush gets some leaves on them

Happy

Hunted a bit this morning. I think I found a problem child. He has the nerve to roost within 100 yards of the gate on public land. After 5 weeks of season I think he knows a thing or two. I think I am gonna concentrate on him for the final two days. He may very well beat me, but that's fine. My year has been made already

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

Gobbler was not roosted there this morning. On to plan B for tomorrow. Last day for me.

JeffC

Good luck with Plan B, I am on Plan Y maybe Z... :help:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

crow

Good success tomorrow, sometimes plan B turns out to be first string

Happy

Well, it's over. I heard a few gobbles at daylight. Only one that seemed to have any heart. And all of them were tucked away on private land. It seems like we got hit even harder than normal by resident and nonresident hunters alike. It seems like everything on public is keeping quiet. Thats ok. If I was going to kill one, he was going to be coming in gobbling and strutting on public ground. I ended the season where about 5 weeks ago, I started it. It's where my boy had his first hunt and "almost" moment. When all we had in front of us was optimism and excitement. The cards had not been played and the possibilities were endless.I sat for quite a while and just reflected on things. Other than working a ton more than I was supposed to, it was about perfect. The main goals I had hoped to accomplish were taken care of. In hindsight, I am glad my boy didn't get to kill one his first time out. It was good for work for it a little. I had fun. I hope that's all what we are seeking when we are in the woods in the first place. It's time for me to get back to real life and start dreaming of next spring to pass the time. Thanks to all, and I hope everyone stays safe and takes care.