OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: general call building question...  (Read 1116 times)

Offline tlewis81

general call building question...
« on: February 24, 2023, 11:51:32 PM »
have you guys who prefer a ghost cut found a good way to get more rasp out of the call by say more stretch? less stretch? stacking the latex closer? maybe extra cuts? im a center flow caller....i guess a ghost for me is pretty clear...i have found smaller ghost openings have helped but i guess i want turkey rasp on the back end

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: general call building question...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »
Again, I preface my remarks on mouth calls with the disclaimer that a person's experience and mechanics play a major role in which mouth calls work best for each of us.

Having stated that, I have found that using .004 material as the primary (top) reed and thinner stuff (.003 or less) for the secondary reed(s) seems to strike a nice balance between desired roll-over and rasp.  Also, I don't use a tension meter, but I tend to stretch those combinations with .004 material fairly tight to get the sound I like.

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 02:04:21 PM »
In my experience, I'll get more rasp if the top reed extends a little more over the secondary reeds and if I reduce or eliminate the cut on the tips of the top reed. Don't extend too much. Also, red latex tends to provide more rasp over yellow (my typical ghost cut color). The spacing of the opening also plays a role, like you mentioned, but if the spacing is too narrow it can be hard to find the sweet spot for aligning the call in your mouth. Also, I'm not sure if this will work, but try moving the call forward in your mouth to provide less tongue coverage and more vibration (this works with purring). On a 2.5 reed ghost cut I usually get enough rasp but still hear the front end. It also allows me throw a jake yelp as well. Hope that helps.   
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think - Moliere

Offline tlewis81

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 09:07:17 PM »
it doesnt take much opening for me to get the high pitch if its in the middle....when u say the top reed overhang...do yoyou keep the bottom reeds tight still...or about all same sistance of overhang?

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 05:57:16 PM »
My bottom reed is usually about a quarter of an inch back from the second reed. The top reed usually extends past the second reed about 1/8 inch at most. That makes a 2.5 reed call with versatility (medium-low stretch).

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 10:51:22 PM »
I like a 2 reed ghost cut but the  key for me is to have a call that has clipped wings. I get an easier, cleaner raspy sound.

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 10:33:53 AM »
One other thing to note. I often have trouble creating the ghost cut without getting the small cuts at the top corners of the cut. However, that does add more rasp. So if you have a clean rounded cut at the top, adding some small cuts at the top corners could give you what you're looking for.

Offline illmakeufamous

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 09:16:05 AM »
I’m not a call maker but I will say I have a hooks ghost and it has slits on each side and it definitely seems to add rasp. A little more than I want but that could be user error as I’ve only been running a mouth call for a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk