OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ISO Star Dot choke for 835

Started by mhamby, February 23, 2023, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhamby

As the title states, looking for a Star Dot choke for a Mossberg 835.
Thanks.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

bbcoach

Stardot chokes were one of the Best chokes out there for the Mossy's.  10 years ago when Hevi-13 #7's were King the Stardots put up some very impressive numbers.  The company has went out of business so the Stardots are hard to find and if you can find one most hunters don't want to let them go.  Colonial Arms took over where Stardot left off.  Their chokes are almost identical except the knurling is different on the ends.  They manufacture a .676 diameter that is exactly the same as the Stardot.  Here's a link.  Give them a call and talk with them.   https://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/colonial-mossberg-835-ultimag-elite-series-ported-turkey-choke-tubes/

mhamby

Thank you for the link and info. I still run a Star Dot on my 500A. I've bought several newer chokes, but I keep going back to that one.
I'll be sure to talk to Colonial, but in the meantime I'm gonna keep looking for a Star Dot as well.

runngun

I have read where Colonial was involved/ originally manufactured the Stardot. Also made a Preston Pittman choke that was the same. Possibly some thievery went on by another company. There's some history of the same story right here on OG from way back.   I think the knurled portion is all that has been changed.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jerf

bbcoach

Quote from: mhamby on March 01, 2023, 02:04:06 AM
Thank you for the link and info. I still run a Star Dot on my 500A. I've bought several newer chokes, but I keep going back to that one.
I'll be sure to talk to Colonial, but in the meantime I'm gonna keep looking for a Star Dot as well.
The 835 and 935 LOVE chokes in the .670 to .676 range.  Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Sumtoy, Stardot and Truglo SSX to name a few.  Don't get to hung up on the Stardot if you can't find one, All of these will put up Great numbers as well as the Stardot.  I personally use the .670 Pure Gold with 3 1/2 inch Hevi 7's in my 835 and get 300 plus at 40 with it.  Good Luck with your search.

mhamby

[/quote]
The 835 and 935 LOVE chokes in the .670 to .676 range.  Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Sumtoy, Stardot and Truglo SSX to name a few.  Don't get to hung up on the Stardot if you can't find one, All of these will put up Great numbers as well as the Stardot.  I personally use the .670 Pure Gold with 3 1/2 inch Hevi 7's in my 835 and get 300 plus at 40 with it.  Good Luck with your search.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I have a few different chokes for the 835 already and i am currently running one that I'm 100% content using. It patterns Apex Ninjas very well at 40. I like to tinker, so this gives me something to do.

mikejd

I did some extensive re search about 7 or 8 years ago. Colonial, made the original stardot. The desired one.
The preston pitman was not made by colonial and not as good as the original.

vt35mag

Don't hold me to it, but I believe the original stardot chokes have 10 ports.  I had one or two of the other look alikes that had 12.

roberthyman14

Quote from: vt35mag on March 08, 2023, 12:04:55 PM
Don't hold me to it, but I believe the original stardot chokes have 10 ports.  I had one or two of the other look alikes that had 12.
Just checked my stardot it has 12 holes.  I will find the packaging and see what it says

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

runngun

The Preston Pittman mic's at .676, allow me to rephrase that, mine measured at that.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mhamby

Quote from: mikejd on March 02, 2023, 09:50:00 PM
I did some extensive re search about 7 or 8 years ago. Colonial, made the original stardot. The desired one.
The preston pitman was not made by colonial and not as good as the original.

I got my hands on a Colonial Elite Series ported turkey choke for my Benelli. It looks exactly like the Star Dot choke.
Still searching for a Star Dot for my 835. The old school Jellyhead choke will work in it for now.