OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 Supermag build  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Bwhntr68

870 Supermag build
« on: February 23, 2023, 10:48:31 PM »
A buddy of mine gave me an old super mag in exchange for some side work, only problem it was used/abused then scavenged for parts. The barrel was mushroomed, bolt and trigger assembly missing, etc. so basically I’ll be starting this build from scratch. Just the receiver and possibly the original stock are in good condition. What are y’all’s recommendations on parts to make this the best turkey gun it can be?

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: 870 Supermag build
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 02:12:09 AM »
Definitely will be a win!! I would certainly check with E-gunsparts, Numerich for all of the parts. On their site you can see a schematic of the gun and get the parts you need.  You can/will have a great gun.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline diyj98

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 10:54:53 AM »
I imagine that buying all the parts is going to be fairly expensive.  You'll have to give an update to cost once you get everything.

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 05:38:43 PM »
I began pricing it out today, it definitely won’t be inexpensive but it’ll be setup exactly how I want it so it should be worth it. Some parts I’ll be able to save money on, a buddy gifted me a 26” barrel he took off his duck gun in exchange for my 28” barrel. Bolt assembled seems to be the most expensive part so far

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 09:09:05 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Love turkey gun builds!

Offline swampfox44

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 11:20:04 PM »
I've found deals on alot of Remington 870, 1100 and 1187 parts on ebay over the years. Could be a place to look. Also, numrich arms is also a good resource.
SwampFox    Proud Father of a United States Marine

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
Got sidetracked chasing turkeys until louisianas season ended today but here’s a small update for y’all. After hours of searching I decided the 26” barrel will have to work although I wanted a 23”. Just can’t find them in 3 1/2 anymore. She got a deep cleaning on all parts and a facelift using the mossy oak vinyl kit. A Timney trigger is on its way, still searching for a bolt assembly though. After that it’ll be sights, new stock and a choke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:45 AM »
pretty good job on that vinyl, the one I did looked like kids arts and crafts compared to that

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 08:38:41 PM »
How do you like the mossy oak vinyl? I was looking at that this morning. Seems pretty nice. My main concern is my skills at applying it and wondering if it makes the gun slick when resting on my knee, for example

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 10:55:36 PM »
How do you like the mossy oak vinyl? I was looking at that this morning. Seems pretty nice. My main concern is my skills at applying it and wondering if it makes the gun slick when resting on my knee, for example
So far it’s not bad, it is a little slick but the vinyl is thin enough I can still feel the check wrong on the stock. Not a huge issue for me as I’m looking for a wood stock/forend to replace the synthetic. As for ease of application, it does take some patience to make sure you get all the wrinkles out and that there are no gaps in between s the different layers of vinyl. You can peel it up and reapply as you’re doing it if you find it to be in the wrong position though so that helps

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 04:43:44 PM »

Trigger group assembly and choke came in today, both won in eBay bids so prices were better than expected. So far the parts breakdown is:
Receiver w/synthetic furniture:free
26” barrel:$220
Vinyl kit:$35
Trigger assembly:$41
HS undertaker:$10
Still would like to find some wood furniture to replace the synthetic, hard to find any that’s not well worn or cracked. Also still hunting for a bolt for a decent price. Thinking of Williams firesights instead of a plain bead then we’ll see how she patterns. Any load suggestions for a .675 undertaker choke?

Offline 243kid

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 08:01:55 PM »
Who sells the vinyl kit?

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 08:06:55 PM »
Who sells the vinyl kit?
Mossy oak graphics is the manufacturer, it’s cheaper on Amazon as mossy oaks shipping for this is a little outrageous

Offline Bwhntr68

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »
Finally found a wood stock and forend on eBay, they were rough and needed work but for $25 I couldn’t pass it up. Little bit of elbow grease and a LOT of brake clean got them looking good. Undecided between sealing them as is or finding a stain to darken them up. Any opinions?

Offline HERRINGBONE1

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2023, 08:10:28 PM »
That looks great. I would look for the post where the guy refinished the o/u in the green looking stain and see if you like it. I believe it would compliment the wrap you did on the gun.