OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Box Call / Running / Style  (Read 964 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Box Call / Running / Style
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:39:07 AM »
What do you look for in a good running box call? Does style / maker of the box play a difference in how you play the box? Lid handle do you look for a style of lid that has more straight taper lid handle like Marlins fiddle boxes or do you look for the ones that have the cut out sides on the lid with like a tear drop shape lid? Do you feel that after you receive the call, it needs a break in period and it's like you need to get acquainted with how it wants to be played chalk at first / to pretty much over time no chalk needed. I do feel a good box doesn't really need much chalk at all, but i like adding chalk sometimes to just change the tones of the call. Let's talk about lid pressure, i also think different combos need manipulation of hold of the call and the amount of pressure you apply to the lid to the box. I like a lid myself with less cutout tear drop lid / style. I want the box to pretty much run itself with me just lightly finger tip gripping the box. In my opinion if you can take one finger and slide the lid across the rails and get a good yelp, then you have the start of a good running box call. Note: Take for example Marlins Misfit box with handle you hold this style of box in a different way, i just hold the small box handle. I use very little hand hold on a box while still controlling the call.   Share your opinions of what you look for in a good box call.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:58:23 AM by Greg Massey »

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Box Call / Running / Style
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 09:06:57 AM »
I want a 5 yr old girl to be able to play it in under 5 minutes.  Boys generally take longer. Like you say, I want it to play with very little pressure. A high front end with good rollover. A call shouldn't need chalked often.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:03:47 PM »
I am left handed. I run a box call "jacked up" so I am told!!! LOL but it works for me. I run them upside down.  Lid is in my right hand, box in my left, again upside down. I work the box, holding the lid still. I I use very little pressure holding the box. And let it work "itself".

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 08:46:56 PM »
I'm finding as I work these boxes I been attempting to build, If I run them upside down like rungun except moving the paddle instead of the box, I have better control in the mid to soft range. If I want it to bark, so to speak, for distance calling I'm better with what would be considered the normal way.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:15:23 PM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 09:53:19 PM »
Awesome!!!! I ain't all alone anymore!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:10:56 AM by runngun »
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
I'm finding as I work these boxes I been attempting to build, If I run them upside down like rungun except moving the paddle instead of the box, I have better control in the mid to soft range. If I want it to bark, so to speak, for distance calling I'm better with what would be considered the normal way.
This is how I am most comfortable playing, I am sure you are better at it than I am though, everyone is.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:20:33 AM »
Great post Greg, very informative.. I do not use boxes often, but on real windy days, I’ll carry a long box. They seem to cut through the wind, especially my Primos Battleship. Like you, I don’t put a lot of pressure on them. I guess you could say I am an under-handed player, paddle handle down towards ground. I have a special place in my heart for them though, killed my first few gobblers on an Old Lynch 102…….thanks for sharing your knowledge here…….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 07:48:34 PM »

I’ve owned several box calls but they’re probably the least used call in my vest. I’ve decided to get better on them and this is how I’m comfortable running them. I’m not as good on the box call as I am with a diaphragm or pot but I’m sounding pretty decent and I’ll be running one this spring.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 08:48:09 PM »
I play a box with an inverted hold, that's just how I do it for some reason. The standard hold seems weird to me, even when trying to relax the wrists as much as possible and letting the call do it's thing.

When wanting to get super soft I'll go inverted and upside down, working the call more like a scratch box.